Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced loads for 270
 Login/Join

posted
Got a 270 Remington 700 laying around and thought I would try some reduced loads for it, so my wife could use it this fall. Anybody have any recipes?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
270 is not a hard kicker anyway, so I guess I'd start with the recommended starting load of either Varget or H4895 and 130 bullets. Let her get used to it and then find the load she is most comfortable with. I know my 30-06 will shoot starting loads of IMR4895 and 165 grains bullets into one ragged hole, and recoil is minimal. That would seem to indicate that either of the 4895's and Varget are the best place to start.
Good luck.

posted Hide Post
It may not be a hard kicker to you, but I have loaded loads with RL 19 and IMR 4350 for this 270 and even the start loads have quite a bit more knock than say a 243 or 6mm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im working on some loads for the 120gn BarnesX bullet. My main reason was for speed, NOT recoil. But it may be less, may not.

From reading this forum it appears you guys in the States have min limits on what caliber you can use for certain animals. The only restriction here (NZ) is for Sambar deer, were there is a min of 130gn projectiles. They are still "protected".

I will yet you know how they go, should be testing when the weather fines up.

Posts: 53 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Hodgdon has youth loads at their site with low recoil and if you look at a reasonable load for say IMR 3031 it should work well. I have found that powder equal or better than 4895 for cast and reduced loads.

Using a light bullet really matters too. I think the 110 gr Sierra Pro Hunter would work but there are many others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Lyman Cast Bullet reloading book and the Accurate Arms book using XMP-5744 powder.
SR-4759 is the other main reduced load powder.
Either will work well in the 270 Win. Copper clad will generate a little higher pressures than all lead bullets of the same weight and bearing surface; but at reduced velocities this will be no problem.
Lyman lists 23.5 grains of SR-4579 behind a 136 grain lead bullet @ 2077 FPS and 29,200 CUP and Accurate lists 26.0 grains of XMP-5744 behind a 150 grain lead bullet for 2125 FPS and 31,100 PSI.
Either should shoot well for your wife in the low 20 grain area and will surprise you how accurate they are if loaded about .02 off the lands. Either will kill deer at that velocity inside 100 yard shots. I shoot a 30-06 with 165 grain Partitions or Swifts @ 1850 FPS from a tree stand and on a clear rib shot they will easily go through and are very deadly.

[ 09-18-2003, 07:52: Message edited by: Old & Slow ]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load two different loads for the 270 that are down loaded.

One is 30 grains of IMR 4198. With a 130 grain bullet, MV is going to be in the 2300 to 2350 range. Decent accuracy out of my Winchester Model 70.

The second one, is a little higher velocity, but has superb accuracy, with groups that you can cover with a dime to a quarter, depending on how steady I can hold the rifle from the bench.

That is 44 grains of H 380 and a 140 or 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. ( Partition can be substituted.). MV is 2600 fps with the 150. About 2650 to 2675 with the 140 grain.

My 270 has a Boss on it, so I am not qualified to speak of how much recoil reduction these loads give. However, I notice the decrease in recoil even with the Boss on the barrel.

Good luck.
[Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
40/H4895 130 grain Hornady Spire Point, 2560 fps.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
The best small game load I have used in the 270 Win is a reduced load I found in Ken Waters Pet loads..110gr Sierra spt--21grs IMR4198--CCI 200 primer RP case. Velocity runs 1754 ft/sec in my 22" barreled BBR. Good accuracy and recoil is non existant.

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .222 remington 700 ADL I load 45 grain lead bullets and 12.5 grains of SR-4759 for that is simply deadly. A Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8-36mm with low base mounts sits on it during squirrel season. Fellow squirrel hunters give me odd looks the first time I uncase it around them. I explain the concept and even jokingly point out that pointing the rifle up helps keep the powder down in the case. We shoot squirrels out of Pecan orchards; along with the occasional just arriving crow. Several have borrowed the rifle for a shot or two ( or more if I let them )and say that they think it would help them in getting familiar with their big game rifles if they did it. Any squirrel I can see that's sitting still is in emminent danger of lead poisoning.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I started my wife off with cast and 9gn 700x in her 270. The recoil is so light that my 4yo son shoots it also from the bench. I picked up a box of 130 Nosler Ballistic tips. A call to the factory said that I could push them as low as 1800fps and still get reliable expansion. I'm planning on doing the 60% reduction of H4895 max load and see where that takes me.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I should have said start at 60% of the max load of H4895. As per the Hodgdon youth load.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VON-try a starting load of H-4831 and Sierra 90gr hp bullet, two of my buddies are shooting this load and even hunt white tail deer with good success, it seems that this bullet is rather tough, they say this bullet/powder load gives them complete penitration on broad side hits with a large wound. This powder will fill the case about 90 to 95% so gives good load density.
Albert

Posts: 98 | Location: Kenova WV | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I presume you know the extreme danger that may arise from reducing velocity by reducing powder amounts without adequate research? Rifle "blows up?" As opposed to "shoots?" If you're not familiar with the problem check out some of the authorities. Its a real live issue and not just an infrequent occurence. Special propellants referred to as "red load" for "reduced load" are sold.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote