New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 and Hornady 140 gr SST
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
these bullets are awfully long. does anyone have any experience loading them into the 6.5x55? my question is......whether they extend so far into the case that the powder capacity is decreased to an unaccepatble level.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most 6.5x55 s are throated for the 160 which is a lot longer than any 140.The same would hold true for the magazine length. There really shouldn't be any problem with most guns.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I shoot 140 grain X bullets in my 6.5 - talk about long. Still, with the long throat of the Swede, it's no problem to get even the max charge of powder under the 140s. I doubt you'll have any trouble.

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Yspen>
posted
I seat the 140 gr SST off the lands in my (Styer Prohunter ) 6,5x55 and get a COL of 3.150" thus no need to compress the powder . The Hornady secant ogive profile of the SST bullet allows is to be seated out further than other bullets . ( eg 140 Matchking has to be seated at COL 3,050" in my rifle )

Ben

one of us
posted Hide Post
i appreciate all the responses. i pulled a bullet from a military round and seated one of the Hornady bullets at 3.170. it chambers fine. it sure looks funny though. the cannelure is almost 3/10s out of the case. i wonder what cartridge Hornady had in mind when they cut the cannelure in these bullets.

anyway, thanks again for the help.

[ 12-03-2003, 06:56: Message edited by: bill smith ]

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My swede mausers and model 70 have long throats and 140 160 gr bullets dont even seat into the case at all .
I think those long swede bullets look Cool.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three old M96 Swedish rifles, and they handle the 140gr. bullet nicely. However, I also have a Remington Classic in 6.5x55 with a 1 in 9" twist. It simply doesn't do well with the 140 or 142gr. Sierras. Yet it's very accurate with the Lapua 139gr. HP and even the 160gr. SPSP. I guess that's due to the bullet shape. I think a 1 in 8" twist would have been more appropriate in this caliber. In any event it's an excellent caliber. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote