THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Why do you think Hornady is moving the cannelures forward??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do you think Hornady is moving the cannelures forward??
 Login/Join

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Seems like the later hornady bullets (especially the sst) has the cannelure moved a little further forward ?? Have they changed the olgive profile?
I'm gonna wager a guess that with the sst bullet line it gives the bullet a "little more edge" on toughness because as the jacket peels back it will hang on in the cannelure area leaving a little more stout bullet driving. I've always thought the cannelure is what holds hornadies together just a little more than sierras and others without cannelure. OPINIONS PLEASE.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the cannelure has some core holding ability and probably helps the jacket fold back closer to the sides of the bullet to make for a smaller frontal diameter. I have been shooting hornady's since they were called spire points instead of interlocts and liked their action then. I believe we are trying to control expansion too much and causing a loss of quick killing ability in a trade off for pemetration.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I`m gonna guess it`s because it will be loaded by commercial ammo makers and by moving it forward it will allow it to fit in the shorter magazine boxes. Aka Winchester @ 3.4". Browning @ 3.4" The 300 Winchester ammo comes to mind here, factory rounds so short.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
It wouldn't surprise me if the intent is lawyer conceived to have bullets off the lands and presumably keep pressure lower. But then again maybe not, that would make the combustion chamber smaller and push pressure up. I don't know really, just sharing my thoughts. MM

<Slamfire>
posted
Bein' a confirmed Hornady shooter, I just ignore the position of the cannalures. Course I ain't shootin' a rifle where I'd need 'em.