Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7mmSTW Brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello and welcome,

I have a Savage 116 in 7STW and really like it. I have done some experimenting, and here are some results that I got: I use 139 Hornady SST's, H4831 or H4831SC, Fed. 215 primers, and have consistently got 3/4" and tighter groups. Brass I use is Winchester, but realize that you should check each brass for imperfections. My rule of thumb is if it isn't perfect, toss it. Brass is cheap and I like having all my fingers intact. Food for thought, there aren't too many guys out there shooting this caliber, so it pays to check regularly for any info. Might save you some $$ in the long run. Good shooting.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a M700 Sendero in 7mmSTW. I started out with IMR 7828 and Nosler 140gr Partitions (Deer Load). I got sub 3/4 in 5shot groups, velocity 3375fps with 82 grs. I load this in Rem brass and I've never had any problems. I bought 100 rds of brass to start with and 6 yrs later, I still have plenty on hand. With accuracy like that, I didn't see any need to experiment any further. That's the only load I've fired in the rifle. That load has hammered deer at 300+ yds. Makes a great "Beanfield" rifle, but I don't like to carry it far.

Posts: 32 | Location: Eastman, Georgia USA | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
First post at AR!! Nother Wyoming boy to complain about the Wolves LOL. Well I have been doing some checking on my STW brass and it seams to be really inconsistant. I am not happy with this at all. The weights vary greatly and the necks seam to be really inconsistant as well. I reload but havent really learned how to trim the cases and turn necks and such. I do uniform the primer pockets and flash holes.

I figure a reloading site would be a good place to ask, Who makes some quality 7mmstw or 8mm brass? What is necessary for brass prep and what is more smoke that seams to be a waste of time?

While I am at it, what powder have you used in the STW shooting 120gr bullets? I have RL19 & 22 in my stock and I have been using H1000 with my 140 gr loads. Still undecidied if I like the H1000 or not though.

Thank you all for your time and consideration!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two 7mmstw's ,one with a kreiger barrel and the other with a schneider barrel both 26" long.Both average 1/2" groups for three shots and produce right around 3500fps with imr7828 behind 140gr ballistic tips.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote