New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annealing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some say to quench the case in cold water and a few say no. Is there a stander way?
THANKS
Jerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is explained well at Varmint Al's web site.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only annealed 1 case in any volume being .22 Hornet that I am reforming to .17 Ackley Hornet. I quench mine mainly as I dont want the heat travelling down and annealing the lower area of the case and quenching arrests that. I use water.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told & have only done it once so I don't know if it really works. Use a candle & heat the case up until its too hot to handle. Then let it cool naturally. Cases annealed!

Has anyone else tried that?

The reason I have some doubt is that I've seen the cases that have been heated by a blowtorch in water up to nearly the necks. They're glowing red, obviously I get to nothing like that temperature.

Another way I have heard is to dip the necks into molten lead but I don't fancy the health consequence in doing it that way & you have to flick the last bits of molten lead off before it solidifies.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Jerry:

I started annealing 7x57 AI cases four years ago to extend case life. I obtained the process from the "Any Shot You Want" A-Square Handloading and Rifle Manual, 1996.

I stand them in a pan with approximately one inch of water to keep the case head cool. Then I propane torch them to light red color. After heating them, I knock them over into the water. No splits after 7-10 reloadings.

I never tried the hold them 'til they're too hot approach.

Does the annealing work; don't know yet. But the chapter on annealing in his book is informative.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
This has a pretty good discussion.

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to reload in fairly large batches. A few years back, I bought 500 Remington empty cases to load for my .308 Win. About three month after loading this ammo, necks were splitting. I lost almost one-fourth of that batch of brass, had to break down the rest and anneal the neck to save the rest of the brass. I can only figure that this was brass from a lot that was not properly annealed from the factory. Normally for the .308, I neck size for 4 reloadings, anneal the necks and full length resize for the fifth loading. That batch of Remington brassis on it's twelvth reloading. it might be good for one more if I'm lucky, but the primer pockets are starting to get a bit loose.
I anneal by holding the neck in the flame of a propane torch and drop them into a bucket of water to quench. I an of the thought that letting them air cool might make the base area way too soft for safety and don'r recommend it.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Draw cold tap water from your facuet and go to work.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Smiler use Yales method!!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the method discribed by Yale for over 40 years with never a problem. Wink

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John T
This method will harden brass. Brass's properties are very different from iron/steel.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without something like the Ken Light machine chances are that you will do more harm then good with any of the jury rigged methods. The neck must be heated evenly for the entire circunfrence, whick is difficult if not impossible with a propane torch, not to mention getting the right temp.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b beyer:
Without something like the Ken Light machine chances are that you will do more harm then good with any of the jury rigged methods. The neck must be heated evenly for the entire circunfrence, whick is difficult if not impossible with a propane torch, not to mention getting the right temp.
Hey Bob, How do you believe people Annealed "prior to" the Ken Light or other machines?

I do agree there is a short learning curve, but I've used three of the above mentioned Methods for quite a long time and did not find any of them impossible. They all work well.

I don't see how the "candle" trick could possibly work, but if he is able to use it and not have Neck Splits, I'd be surprised.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted 24 April 2007 20:38
From what I've read and practiced over the years there is a whole bunch of bad misinformation regarding annealing brass . Now don't jump down my ass ,I'm simply going to attempt to explain a bad method !.

When brass becomes work hardened it becomes brittle . Heating brass then dumping it in water does the same thing !.

Only the neck and a touch of the shoulder ( assuming rifle cases and there is a shoulder ) is to be heated to 660 degrees . Then set aside to cool not chill quenched by liquid !. Now 660 - 750 degrees works but 665 is Ideal and is extremely close to factory annealing in most cases ( No Pun intended ) .

Someone told me about a turn table with a two torch set up ( one inside one out side ) of the turn table suspended above the cases . Small precise tips direct heat evenly . It would need to have an empty slot or indexing station . So as to fire the torches start the rotation of the table and turn X number of times . Depending on the size or capacity of the table and or size of cases to be done . Once temp. is reached shut off . Portable infer red temp gun could be used to monitor the cases furthest away from torches . So as to correctly know case temp. and not have to guess !. This would only heat the neck and slightly on the shoulder . Not down to the case head

Does anyone know of this unit or if anyone even makes it ?. My friend said he didn't remember where he heard about it or saw it !.

If no one has it !. I may just put a retired tool and die buddy of mine on building one !.

After all he used to build proto type machines for Japanese company's !. Before CAD designing Computer hard ware for HP . Then making some of the stuff for them to boot !.He has the talent and then some !. ... salute

Dr.K Carbon

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me also add if your cases turn orange or red you've ruined them !. As that is in the 900 degree heat and above range for brass !.

Metallurgy says 665 is IDEAL !. Up to 750 will work but shortens use full life of case !.

I checked with a Friend in that line of work he agreed 665 is the correct temp. !... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc

Here is the Ken Light annealing machine.

Other info also.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
Posted 24 April 2007 20:38
From what I've read and practiced over the years there is a whole bunch of bad misinformation regarding annealing brass. ,I'm simply going to attempt to explain a bad method !.
Hey Dr.K, You are correct that there is a "lot of bad misinformation regarding annealing". The problem is you are the one putting out that bad information and that is not intended as jumping on you at all.

quote:
When brass becomes work hardened it becomes brittle.
Correct
quote:
Heating brass then dumping it in water does the same thing !.
Wrong-O! Brass has totally different Mechanical Properties than Steel or Iron. You can find the specifics concerning this unique feature of Brass in a Machinists Handbook.

The wonderful thing about all of this is it is relatively easy for anyone to prove to themselves by simply doing the Annealing and letting three Air Cool and quickly Quinch three other Cases with cold Water. Then reload, shoot, reload, shoot, etc. to see which cases have Split Necks first.
---

Best of luck with your Annealing Dr.K.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the old 'Norma Gunbugs Guide'Stand them in a pan of water,to about 3/4 of their height.The primers should be removed,permitting water to enter the case. Heat the case necks to cherry red [with a propane torch],at which temperature the brass has reassumed it' maximum softness.As soon as the the correct temperature has been reached tip the case into the water to cool quickly.....They ought to no better than most on how to anneal brass !! thumb

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Varmint Al's annealing system works very well. But annealing cases as in muzzleloading and reloading is full of opinionated, ham-handed, hard headed individuals who won't explore the basic metallurgy of the work, never develop a feel for a press handle, break ramrods consistently, and would get upset over mere opinions. N.S.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote