New
Find
Notify
Tools

case trimmer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got an rcbs case trimmer and am not that happy with it ..... considering a redding 2400.
has anyone out there used or have one?

faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more rifles

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at Forster trimmers also. I've have good success with all their products.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People who have used others and the Wilson, prefer the Wilson. It's reputed to be the smoothest and for providing the squarest necks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
+ 1 for the Wilson trimmer.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use the Forster...also attachments available for turning necks..in & out...primer crimp removal....etc....

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes to the Wilson, Great Trimmer. Cheap enough I get one for each caliber and never change the settings. But the settings on the wilson are easy and faster then the forster.

Posts: 49 | Location: the Evergreen State | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at both the Forster and the Wilson. I like the Wilson approach to adjustment and case holding, but it does not outside-turn necks like the Forster does. May end up getting the Wilson and somebody's hand-held neck turner.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I thought Wilson did supply an outside neck-turner attachment on request. Anyway, I would much prefer an outside turner that does NOT work on the lathe principle, and prefer something on the order of a Marquart, K&M, that sort of thing. Best of all for outside turning is the Nielsen "pumpkin" and separate lathe, but it costs by far the most, too....about the same as a new Savage center-fire bolt gun when the guns are on sale.

For a case trimmer, I don't think there is anything better than a Wilson, especially if you also buy the Sinclair mount for the Wilson tool. (Actually cheaper to get the mount and the tool both from Sinclair, as a package deal.)

Wilson also has available inside neck reamers which work in the same tool, do-dads to optimize using an electric screw driver or drill to drive the neck trimmer, and great gauges for checking one's brass.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
The easiest case trimmer (cheapest also) is the Lee Trimmers.

No measuring. Just screw in the pilot to the cutter. Put the case holder on the stud that is connected to an electric screwdriver or drill.

Insert case and trim.

Simple.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mc:
The easiest case trimmer (cheapest also) is the Lee Trimmers.

No measuring.

That's exactly the reason I DON'T use them. I want my brass a length I have determined best fits my chambers. I don't want it some length that somebody at Lee decided on.

To each his own.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We tried them all.

None comes even CLOSE to the Wilson.

We have two set up here.

One for normal cases, and one for the longer magnums. Both have Sinclair micrometer adjustment.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Lee trimmers. I also use the Zip trim with them.

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had a rcbs,tried the lee and sold the rcbs,lee is so much easier and quicker.

One of Us
Picture of bkluke10x
posted Hide Post
I use lee trimmers, they are the easiest. and Wilsons are awesome as well. Cool

Posts: 32 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 17 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For plinkers/hunting--the Lee trimmers are the way to go. For Match brass--Forster by all means.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello!
I've owned the Forster and RCBS units... but when it came to buying a trimmer when I recently decided to get back into reloading after several years of being away, I chose the Wilson and haven't looked back. Seriously... if you're looking for the BEST manual trimmer in every way, shape, and form - the Wilson has it above all the rest. Case holding is VASTLY to superior to "neck bushing" type and caseholder type trimmers, and the engineering is absolutely superb. The rails insure ABSOLUTE squareness - it's like having a miniature precision lathe to trim and chamfer your cases!

One of Us
Picture of ruger270
posted Hide Post
The Lee trimmer CAN be used to cut your cases to a custom length. The case length guage passes through the case and then through the primer flash hole and is stopped by the lock stud that screws in to the bottom of the case holder. What you can do is insert shims between the lock stud and the rim of the case, allowing you to increase the length of the trimmed case. Consequently you can use a washer between the lock stud and rim of the case to decrease the length of the trimmed case.

The Lee system may not be as polished as the Wilson, but I have found it to work quite well.

Jesse

Posts: 171 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+++++++ on the Wilson. Far superior to trimmers that rely on holding the case by the head.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote