New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 vs. 300 Win Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Assuming you reload, which would be the best choice for game ranging from antelope to black bear?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, this is like a Ditka v. Mini-Ditka scenario. I like the 300WM better.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Ricochet>
posted
IMHO, 30-06. Never could see why all the magnum hype.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having shot a .300 Win. mag. for the past 12 years or so I have to say the .300. It will do everything the 06 will and at longer range if needed. You do pay for that extra range with recoil though. I had to have a brake put on mine and a good scope with lots of eye relief.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet:
...Never could see why all the magnum hype.

Popping a woodchuck at 700yds with the 300WM is much easier. Believe the hype. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nebraska:
Assuming you reload, which would be the best choice for game ranging from antelope to black bear?

What ever you are most comfortable & accurate with is the best of these two cartridges!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
For most of us the 30/06 is by far the most popular choice. But first the game and landscape must be known.

If one is hunting east of the Missisippi then unless one is watching a clear cut the 30/06 is by far the superior gun.

The biggest difference is not the speed of the bullets or the downrange energy but the fact that most modern 30/06 rifles are handy and light and most .300 Mags are heavy and clumsy.

So if the range is under 300 yards the 30/06 is the superior choice.

I really like what Atkinson said; "at some range every .300 Mag becomes a 30/06"

I have both. To carry a .300 Mag. in Vermont or here in my home state would be silly. You would be laughed at.

In the Rockies the longer range cartridge would be better some of the time.

Those .300 Mag's kick like heck.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I have both also. I carried an '06 for over 50 years and never felt undergunned. As a matter of fact I'm not sure why I got a 300 except I thought it might be a bit better for elk. The elk never knew the difference.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
Those .300 Mag's kick like heck.

Wimp [Razz]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet:
IMHO, 30-06. Never could see why all the magnum hype.

DITTO [Smile]

I'll sacrifice a few fps for extended barrel and case life, less blast, less recoil...not to mention cheaper loads.

Magnum = Inefficiency

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Peter Walker>
posted
I used 30-06 for 14 years everything died just fine with it. I moved to BC and hunted my first fall with 30-06,ranges that were once 75yds became 375yds. I took three head of game that year and bought a 300WSM the next spring. I do notice the extra 200fps and the ability to launch 200gr bullets at 2850fps in griz country.

Believe the hype.

Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bottom line is the 300 Win is 100 yds better than an 06 all the way out....just more of a good thing....thats what this magnum thing is all about...If you don't need it fine, but you can't knock it and still be very well informed.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the recoil issue for the .300 Win Mag is way overstated. In addition to my .300 WM, I shoot a .30-06 and a .35 Whelen and I really don't see a big difference in recoil between the 3 using normal handloaded hunting loads. All 3 rifles are Mauser 98's of similar weights.

Virtually every time I read an article about the .300WM, the author mentions how bad the recoil is. If we hear this often enough, we start believing it.

Mind you, different people have different recoil tolerances.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300win mag will do anything the 30-06 will do and do it at longer ranges as well.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Just because a 300 Mag shoots straighter doesnt mean that a 30-06 wont work any farther than a couple hundred yards. People are absoloutly terrified that their bullet is going to drop a couple freaking inches thesedays and assume that when that begins to happen that particular caliber is no longer effective. WRONG!! Lobbing a bullet is an art and anyone shooting woodchucks with a 300 WM at 700 yds is using it. If an individual possesed the skill I assure you that a 30-06 could muster up enough energy even at 700 yds to still do in a woodchuck.

In a long range target match Ill bet on a well practiced 06 bullet lobber over a balistician with his beloved charts and a grossly overcharged magnum any day. Dont punish yourself, just get enough gun for the job and learn to use it. And I dont care how many earings are in your mouth, Its for certian that you wont want to shoot as much at the range with a 25% higher powder charge.

[ 07-17-2002, 07:27: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
Why not have the two guns in one.Build a 30 Gibbs or Ackerly improved.You just solved the problem of having to make a choice.That was so simple I almost hate myself for mentioning it.I have a 30 Gibbs and a 300 Win mag.They are so much alike it's frightening.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com