New
Find
Notify
Tools

H4831 vs. H4831SC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody got any idea what the relative burning rates are for these two?? Are they the same, and is reloading data the same?

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon claims they are one and the same. I have used both in my 270, 260, 6.5 swede and 25-06 and haven`t seen anymore differance in preformance than I get with a powder lot change. The SC version meters a bit better than the long though.
Just remember to treat a change between SC and reg 4831 as a new powder lot and drop the charge a couple grs and work back up.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 'Joe!

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SC stands for short cut, and was designed to meter better through the measures.

Posts: 66 | Location: Troy Montana | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep to all the above.

Shorter grains burn faster, but the H4831SC has a different retardant coating on the shorter grains, to keep the burn rate slowed down to very close to that of H4831.

I heard somewhere that the H4831SC may be 2% slower than the H4831, but cannot quote the source.

Anyway, they are very close, but prudence would dictate at least a 2% backoff and work up when switching from one to the other, either way, as stated above.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
From my testing, they are the same.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the manufacturer (ADI in Australia) they have "the same burning rate and bulk density (charge weights), but AR2213SC has improved metering characteristics through a shorter cut length of grain." AR2213SC is H4831SC in the US market.

Posts: 59 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 59 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I switch back and forth between the two (whichever is on the shelf at the store when I need some) and do not see any difference in their performance using the same data for my loads.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went from "standard" to SC with no work up. Just switched when I ran out of standard. The use was for hunting rifles and it would have taken a much better shooter than me to detect any difference.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems Hodgdon says they have exactly the same burn rate. They show exactly the same load data for both on the side of the containers for H4831 and H4831SC. Coincidence or verified by Hodgdon, or assumed to be the same by Hodgdon? My what precision chemical engineering of retardant coating on the H4831SC!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote