THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the collet neck die really necessary????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Getting ready to order my dies for my 22-250 but I'm stuck between a 2 and 3 die set. I just watched a reloading video and the guy only used 2. It seems like the collet die is the only difference. How necessary is it for a 1st time reloader?? If so, it seems like the lee deluxe is the way to go. What do you think.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey dubs

Personally I really like the Lee Collet Neck Sizers and have one in each caliber I reload for (as long as they are available for that caliber). Even had Lee make me one in 6.5 rem mag. The reasons I like the Lee Collets:

• You can neck size only when you want to for the first few loadings on a case
  • You do not have to use lube inside the neck and consequently do not have to clean all that lube out
  • They yield lower runout than any other type of die I have tried (to include full length dies, neck sizer dies with expander balls and bushing neck sizers)

The mandrel is free floating and enters the neck without pushing it to one side or the other and then the collet compress on the mandrel. Your case should be concentric from firing in the chamber and the Lee Collet will not change that when sizing the neck.

If you get the Lee Deluxe

you will get the full length die which you can use to resize the cases after they develop a crush fit and a bullet seating die so you will have all you need to reload. There are better die for body sizing and bullet seating but you can add those later.

However, even if you upgrade your body sizing die and bullet seater you will still have the best neck sizing die and will continue to use it.

JMHO

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As you seem to be "new" to reloading I would strongly recomend you gain experence with basic reloading techniques first. That means standard full length resizing die and standard seating die. There will be plenty of time to learn and use more advanced reloading techniques.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muck:
As you seem to be "new" to reloading I would strongly recomend you gain experence with basic reloading techniques first. That means standard full length resizing die and standard seating die. There will be plenty of time to learn and use more advanced reloading techniques.

muck

Yes I am new to reloading and simple sounds good right now.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the crease out of the rim of my .17 HMR so I can start reloading those too. I seem to be making it worse though by hammering on it!!! clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubs22-250
It seems like the collet die is the only difference. How necessary is it for a 1st time reloader?? If so, it seems like the lee deluxe is the way to go. What do you think.

Don't be cheap, buy the collet die sizing set. Then put Lee's guarantee to work...guaranteed to load more accurate ammo or your money refunded.

Like woods, I have lots of collet dies and 2 custom made for wildcats. Probably the best investment a 22-250 shooter can make.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone suggested the collet die, a body die (Redding), and the Forster seater?

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
I really like the 3-die set. The only draw-back
to the Lee Collet Neck Sizer is that it may not
give the tension on the bullet needed. However,
the included directions tell ya how to compensate
for that. Just follow all directions to a "T",
and you will be good to go.

Our independence is dying.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What "woods", "onef" and "DannoB" said! Best value out there in reloading as long as they are available in all the chamberings you load for! For the unbelievers here, take 20 peices of brass(same lot, same number of firings be it 1x, 2x or 6x!!) load the same powder, same primers, same bullets(same lots for all components) and then range test....let me go back....before going to the range, check it on a run-out guage! Then go shoot it! I'm willing to bet the LEE loaded rounds will render better accuracy than the RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Pacific, whatever, rounds do! Best kept secret in reloading and shooting! Next best would be NIKON'S glass!! GHD PS: The neck tension or bullet tension can be remidied by FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS and turning the brass 1/2 turn and closing the press again after initial raising of the press ram! Just back off, turn the brass 1/2 turn, raise it again and then you're done! Takes all of about 3 seconds to accomplish!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubs22-250:
What do you think.

Fact of the matter is you'll be happy with whatever choice you make as it's all new to you. Don't stress about neck sizing, but do get the three die set anyway as, sooner or later, you'll want to neck size. If you didn't get a case trimmer in your reloading kit now is the time to order that trim die.

I'm not a Lee fan as I think they have a lot of gimmicks. That is exactly why I steered you toward RCBS and Redding from the get go.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/822101177

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes get the collet die thumb its really good value for money IMO

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do love the lee collet die but HATE their basic fl dies. I cannot get good runnout out of the several sets of FL Lee dies even after playing with the expander some. Their lock ring is kind of a joke with the rubber o-ring as far as getting good headspace consistantly.
I've had much better luck with hornady dies as far as a cheap die set goes.
You don't really NEED a collet die but it does work nice.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The primary drawback of any neck-sizing process is that it may only fit the rifle it came out of. Ten+ years down the road that may be an issue.

Neck tension can be fixed with the factory crimp die IME.

Not needing any lube is really nice. I also appreciate the fact that the bullet seating die isn't also a crimp die that can buckle cases if I get careless.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote