New
Find
Notify
Tools

SD,velocity,bullet weight, for penetration
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
technically speaking,if we had a 250gn.338@2650,270gn.358@2650, 286gn.366@2650,300gn.375@2650 all of the same construction bullet (eg;Barnestripleshock)would any give better penetration than the other?
for eg: would the technically be any difference in penetration between the thinner338/250 or thicker higher momentum 375/300gn?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a good article by Chuck Hawks breaking down sd and applying it to hunting bullets for various sized game:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sd.htm

Myself, w/out getting too wrapped around the axle. If I had every combination you list to dispatch a large and dangerous game animal requiring deep penetration and my daughters life depended on it, I'd choose the heaviest bullet w/ sd over .300....being the 300gr 375 @ 2650fps. The results should be adequate penetration w/ the added benefit of a Taylor-KO factor of 42. Compare this to the others:
366 = 39
358 = 36
338 = 31

None of the combinations you list should require enough powder to make recoil a limiting factor.

Gary

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't expect there to be a signifigant difference in penetration between those combos. I'd expect a greater variation from game animal to animal than bullet to bullet. I'd also expect that having chosen the triple shock, more likely than not you'd be getting exit holes in game, so exactly how far the bullets penetrate is moot, the answer is, enough. The 375 would be expected to produce a slightly larger wound channel.

Any of those selected will have sufficient penetration and wound channel to take any NA game, and any softskinned game the world over.

One note on the Taylor KO number, Mr. Taylor devised his formula for comparing the performance of solid bullets, not expanding bullets.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote