New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloader 7
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any of you load this in the 223 if so how do you like its performance?

Posts: 135 | Location: sw kansas | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My AR likes it with
Sierra - 55gr
RL7 - 20.5gr

Quickload says 3028fps and 44421psi

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not in 223 but i use it in 222 and its a great combination with 50 gr BT's

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love it in my .223s !!!!

I load above what many consider above book loads and I love the performance when doing so.

In one of my .223 bolt actions I had to load down 1g due to pressure signs from my top load using the same weight bullet. In my AR I'm down 3g from my top load. Although I have shot my top load from my AR.

Top load is with 40g NBT with a very generous load of RL-7. Used this same load out of my AR to take two mule deer bucks the past couple of years. One at 290 yards and the other at 170 yards; one went about 10-15 yards and the other tipped over upon impact.

I've also loaded it in 50g NBT and 55g NBT for use out of the AR.

Just got lucky and found a 4 lb jug at the LGS and now it's in the powder inventory. I would recommend it highly.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 7 was one of the sweetheart powders used during the heyday of benchrest shooting with the 222 Remington. It did not win some matches, it won hundreds or even thousands of matches.

If anything it should be even better in the 223 with the lighter varmit bullets. I am not so sure it would be good to use with the long heavy bullets in the fast twist rifles.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote