New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding vs RCBS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why would two die set of Redding dies cost over $100 and RCBS is $37. Both in 240 weatherby.
Is there that much difference?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2641 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
not in my opinion. Statement from redding on a custom die I had made
"the only gurantee .003Thsnds run out.

my lee dies are better than that

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Which 2 die set? Or which seating die? I've used one RCBS rifle die set in .222 Remington Magnum and 2 Redding full length dies and competition seating dies in .223/5.56 and .308 Winchester. The Readings are both us d for match ammo. The first rifle die set I bought was the .222, it also makes very accurate ammo. I've never used a Lee rifle die, I like them for pistol ammo.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standard full length resize two die set.
I have about ten sets of dies in both RCBS and Redding. The Redding’s were a little more but triple the cost of RCBS??

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2641 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS die sets that I have that are fifty years old show much more attention to detail than the newer RCBS dies. I've heard that the decrease in quality came with the sale of the company to the corporation. All of the Redding dies that I have are about ten years old and they show the attention to detail that I used to see in RCBS. but to deviate from your question, if a die is made for the caliber that I want by LE Wilson, that is the one that I get.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our die rack has dies from RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Hornady, Lee.

And frankly, I cannot tell the difference in the results of loads made on any of them.

Currently I tend to buy Redding, as they seem to look as they do pay attention to detail, and my dealer stocks them.

Also they are very good at making custom dies to our specs very fast.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67517 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Redding comp seaters and their wildcat dies.
For run of the mill cartridges, I like RCBS for the quality and price. My ONLY issue I’ve ever had with an RCBS set was the expander was crooked, RCBS replaced it at NO COST.

For all of my precision handloading, I use Forster dies, WITHOUT bushings.

I order the neck size I want in the die, this is the only way to get good ammo without buying custom dies like those offered by Whidden.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
while i like reddinng i quit using them because of their refusal to put weep holes. OK sometimes i may overlube but forming brass needs lube

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also prefer Forster full length benchrest dies with their high mounted floating expanders.

These Forster dies produce cases with the least amount of neck runout.

Below the Forster dies hold and center the case neck in the neck of the die when the expander enters the case neck. Meaning the expander can not pull the case neck off center and induce runout.

The Forster benchrest seating dies can even correct slight amounts of neck runout. The sliding sleeve holds the case and bullet in perfect alignment and the bullet can not tilt.

Bottom line the Forster dies are cheaper than Redding dies and make more concentric cases.

Below a modified Forster expander and spindle assembly fitted to a Redding die. This reduces neck runout and you do not have to drag the longer oblong Redding expander through the case neck. There is a rubber o-ring under the expanders lock ring that allows the expander to float and self center. The Forster spindle had to be cut and fitted to get the correct expander height.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I like the Redding S type, bushing dies without an expander. No runout issues at all.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12607 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use nothing but RCBS when I started reloading when I was twenty or so in 1977. They were the known as being the best dies you could buy for that amount of money.

Four years ago..and ONLY because they can be converted to use a carbide neck expander ball..I bought a set of standard Redding dies. I wishe I'd done so ten years ago.

As another poster has noted today's Redding are far superior IMHO to today's RCBS. They still have a quality look and feel to them. Someone kindly also explained the S Die concept to me. Yes, I think that is a good idea.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote