New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do you recommend for loading custom ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who do you recommend for loading custom ammo.

Thanks

AR

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I recommend you do it yourself; no one can know the idiosyncrasies of your rifle and make ammo to suit perfectly. Also they need a license.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Choice ammunition in victor montana offers a service where you send them your rifle and they work up a load for it and the. Custom load as many rounds as you like.

Posts: 265 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have never bought custom made ammunition, as I've generally had good luck with straight factory ammo, or loaded my own. But I've heard good things about these guys:

Safari Arms

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do my own

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I generally load my own I didn’t have time to work up a load for my 6.5x55 before a trip to Africa.

Superior Ammunition sorted me right out.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine used to buy his ammo from the same guy who built his rifle. Personally I never saw the point. Either reload or go down to the sporting goods store. I hear today's factory ammo aint all bad, and I sure wouldn't want to pay even more than they charge.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot a big game ammo with factory ammo in 50 years.

But from the groups I have seen and the performance. That I have seen from todays factory stuff, has been very good.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just think about how much it will cost to send your rifle to a guy, and have them work up loads for it. You could buy a reloading setup with that money. I can't even fathom doing that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Just think about how much it will cost to send your rifle to a guy, and have them work up loads for it. You could buy a reloading setup with that money. I can't even fathom doing that.
For me, half the fun with my guns is experimenting with different loads.

I guess its stupid, but my pleasure in reloading is achieving (or bettering) a custom rifle's accuracy but in an ordinary rifle, or finding a load that shoots really well in a rifle that is stubbornly inaccurate with most loads.

And when I kill something, the fact that I created the load that did the deed makes the event more special for me.

But that's all just me.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
To me, hand loading is as good an activity as shooting. And for many of the cartridges I shoot, the only option.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
To me, hand loading is as good an activity as shooting. And for many of the cartridges I shoot, the only option.

Same here! I really enjoy reloading for my rifles (30 or so) and I DO Shoot them every year, some once or twice, some numerous times. I have in the past bought rifles just to fool around reloading for them trying to improve their accuracy. Rifle calibers from .218B up to .416Ruger and heavily loaded .45-70 (Siamese mauser).

They are All Good!

Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used "custom" ammo from a company before, and know a couple of guys who have really liked Superior's stuff.

Federal is also offering this for some cartridges now.

My question would be, what you are looking for by the term custom?

It is either an odd cartridge, in which case it depends if they have the right components and dies; or you want specific components put together for a standard round in which case it depends on component availability.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Federal is also offering this for some cartridges now.

I just used the federal.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari Arms up in New York. John La Sala is a good man and does a great job.

Posts: 100 | Location: Virginia  | Registered: 27 September 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had just shot factory ammo many years ago and never reloaded, Id be way ahead financially! rotflmo

BUT i like to reload, so what happened I have tons of load ammo built during the 6 months of Idaho winters, no way I can shoot it up in my lifetime thats bound to be running short.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote