Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 142 mk problem
 Login/Join

posted
g day all ;had one come apart the other day does this happen often.round is 6.5/06 imp 57g re 22 at 3140 fps 1/8 t 28in tube thanks rod

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
These bullets are not intended for game. Sometimes they may come apart; at other times, they may pencil through. They are designed for extreme accuracy and nothing more.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
my mistake bobby ishould have said this happend on the range 300 yd line and it never made it to target

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of one disintegrating in flight at the velocity you are shooting them at. One local shooter uses this very bullet at just over 3300 fps. I talked to him a few minutes ago, and he has never experienced this -- and he puts lots of lead downrange.

Could your shot just have landed off target, or maybe punched through the same hole where a previous shot had landed?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You might want to ask about this over on www.benchrest.com They use the 142 MK in the 6.5x284 for 1000yd shooting and seem to swear by it as the bullet to start with when looking for a load. If anyone has had trouble with them those guys have.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, I did'nt see it my self but the check scorer swears it turned into grey mist ,this might have been a small bird! Don't know, hadn't happened before and it hasn't happened since. I thought I would just ask the question to find out if anyone had a similar problem.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Rpay, my 6.5/284 only pushes them to low 3,000's and I haven't had this occur. I also shoot the Berger 140 VLD's and Hornady A-Max, however mine is a 1 in 9 twist... Could be though...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had another 2 proj's blow today. Getting a bit concerned now. All other's shot perfectly, accuracy's great. No signs on cases. About to email Sierra to see if they have any possible reasons as to why. If all the proj's were almost at the point of blowing, would this show in accuracy problems?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rpay, I had this happen with my 6.5 swede m96 with the 85 gr sierra hp. The bore was old and pretty rough. I didn't have a chronograph back then, but when I put on a new mil bbl, the problem went away. It now shoots the 85's at 3280 very well. I would imagine that if the bullets were overstressed almost to point of coming unglued the accuracy would suffer.

posted Hide Post
788 g day ,bbl is 350 or so rounds old smooth as, cleans out very easy might just change proj to lapua