New
Find
Notify
Tools

.220 Swift experience wanted
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've just had a new Swift barrel installed ( 1-12 twist, 26" length) and am getting ready to do some load development. Looking for a person with LOTS of Swift experience willing to share their experiences. This rifle will be used predominantly for coyotes using 50-60 gr. bullets. Don't need rifle tuning help, but especially annealing experiences and any other loading info you think might help. I've lots of loading experience in numerous calibers, but just a little with the Swift in one other rifle. thank you.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I don't find the Swift any more difficult to find a working hand load than any other cartridge. A load of a 55 grain bullet with 38.0 grains of IMR 4064 is a starting point.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used several 220 swifts for both prairie dogs and coyotes, for close to 35 years. However I’ve stopped using it on PDs.
There’s nothing special about loading it. I use 4064 powder and 50 grain ballistic tips for coyotes.
Mine is a custom R 700 with a Lila 26”, 1:12” twist. It’s very accurate and deadly.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
TheSwift! used one for several years as a groundhog gun.
My go to load was WW760 just under 3800f/s using a 52 gr Sierra HPBT. I used WW brass and aneiled after ever 3rd firing.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I simply use the same load I use in the 22-250.
it isn't maxed out either.
the cases last just as long as anything else, and I ain't burning up the barrel.
heck half the time I shoot the same load as I use in my 223 using cast or 22LR jacketed bullets.
2800 fps is 2800 fps, and a dead squirrel is a dead squirrel.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Devere My Swift is a Rem 700. I would suggest staying a grain or two under max. I find that is the most accurate in my rifle. Those last few ft/sec really don't change field performance. I anneal base every 5 th firing and cases last as long as any other case. I do not full length size. My size die is backed off one full turn from touching the shellholder.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you all. Helpful info.

devere

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swift is just like any other caliber and if your an esperienced handloader you won't have a problem..I use mine mostly for shooting coyotes and Rockchucks, and culling whitetail...My favorite bullet is the Hornaday 60 gr. HP or SP and the 64 gr. Nosler..both perform on rockchucks to deer. I use a lot of H414, WW760, and I like ball powder as it meters smoothly, the 4831 is a great powder but its a problem to meter into that small neck..for what its worth..

My present swift will shoot about any bullet weight and most any load, its a forgiving gun. but Id say the 52 gr. Hornaday is the best for accuracy so far, the balistics are very accurate also..but will they perform in your gun, nobody can tell you that you have to test your gun and loads..A gun is a inity unto itself others suggested loads don't mean anything more than they work in their gun. not yours. Were that the case we would all be shooting the same load..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's 40+ years of data on loading the Swift, so plenty of info from the usual places. If you want to experiment a bit, I'd suggest trying superformance with some of the heavier bullets. Sometimes it really shines.