New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloadingh the 6.5x55 Swede
 Login/Join

<303British>
posted
I am new to this calibre, just wondered if anyone who knows it better may be able to offer some advice. I am loading for a Blaser LRS2, components are as follows: Rem brass (full sized), Rem 9.5 Large Rifle Primer, Vihtavuori N160 (43 Grains) and Lapua Scenar bullets (139grains or 9.0grams to those that prefer metric).

The Viht manual suggests a COL of 3.126 for this load. I loaded up a few yesterday, and found that they would not fit in the magazine, and had to go down to a COL of 3.030'ish to get them in the mag. This is quite a reduction in the stated OAL, but they seemed to shoot OK.

Has anybody had any experience with this combination and if so can you offer any advice on a suitable COL, or alternative loads with these components? Of course safety was my primary concern, but these loads showed no signs of undue pressure, and extraction was easy enough.

Thanks
Paul

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
303British,
I normally use to have a 79/80 mm of OAL when I load 139 grs LAPUA Scenar.

bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Yspen>
posted
3,126" seem a bit long - I would keep to about 3.05" max if magasine allows .
Best to determine position of lands and keep bullet just off as recommended by the accuracy gurus .
Your loads seem safe - stick what works in your gun .
Ben

[ 10-21-2002, 23:43: Message edited by: Yspen ]

<Patrick_D>
posted

3.15 is max OAL according to the book. I am currently working up loads with 123gr scenars and OAL is 3.14. That's 20 thou off the lands in my Sako 75.

I have however loaded Nosler 100gr BTs in the past, and they were backed way off the lands but accuracy was good.

I guess the bottom line is, if it works, don't worry.

I would also suggest an email to Lapua to confirm loads. For the 123gr scenar, they say max is 50.4gr N160. I have so far worked up to 48.8 with the 123grs and not pressure signs at all. Also look on this site at the recent work Saeed did on a 6.5x55. http://www.accuratereloading.com/65smauser.html
some useful data for you to consider.

Patrick

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
303British,
I read your topic some day ago, but I did not care the bullet and load weight.
I put 46grs of N160using a 79mm of OAL.
Is my preferred load on European light big game.
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote