Find
Notify
Tools

Neck Resize or Full Length Resize
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,
About to order some Redding dies for a 6.5-284 and had a couple of questions.

1. Neck size, full length, or both?
2. If both, how often would you use the full length resizer?
3. Which Redding die set?

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i was going to ask the same question. i await the responses........
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
Personally, I like the comp bushing neck die sets. These include the body die.
For bolt action rifles I only neck size. The bushings allow you to minimally resize the necks and greatly increase the life of your brass.
Brass only needs to be full length resized or have the shoulders pushed back when you notice that there is slight resistance to closing the bolt on a reloaded round.
If you are shooting light loads it is possibe that you may never need to fully resize. On the contrary, if chamber splittin' loads are used, you may need to do this fairly often. For most shooting you should be somewhere in between.
VH

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
You can get by with a FL die and a seater. Many reloaders looking for extreme accuracy and good case life use all three, neck, FL and seater.

I too prefer the bushing dies from Redding. You can get them in most calibers for both neck and FL sizing. They help getting concentric sizing and consistent neck tension.

If you only neck size after fireforming, you can expect drag on the bolt around 3, 4 or 5 reloads. When to set back the shoulder with a FL die depends on your tolerance for forcing the bolt closed. After 4 reloads when punching paper is my maximum at which point the shoulder is set back .001"-.002". I also anneal necks at that point, then start the process over until either primer pockets loosen or after the third trim, if necessary.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Hunting or competition? I think hunting rounds should be fl sized to facilite easy and reliable loading in the field, even if you have to sacrifice a wee bit of accuracy.

For comp, you need every edge you can get, and neck sizing with a bushing die is the way to go.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel that all loads should be FL sized. This is what Tubbs does and what I do.

If the application is a bench rest rifle then do what they do but for regular hunting loads they should function well. This is the first requirement.

Some light loads don't require FL sizing. Then they can be neck sized but the chamber better be in line with the bore or many of the bullets will not line up if it's not perfect.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
I feel that all loads should be FL sized. This is what Tubbs does and what I do.

Yes, but does Tubbs shoot a factory chamber or one tightened up to match his full-length die?

Tom

Posts: 14617 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote