New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping on 300 Weatherby - Neccessary?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you guys think it is neccassary to crimp the bullets when loading for the 300 Weatherby? I have been loading for it for two years and have not crimped and found no problems at all. I'm realtivly new to relaoding rifles and am curious what the advantages / disadvantages of crimping are.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I never crimped mine when I had them.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, crimping is not necessary with this round as long as you have proper neck tension on the bullet. I have fired many rounds of .300 WB in hunting situations without any ill effects due to the lack of crimping. Bullets don't pull out or push into the case while in the magazine and accuracy is very good. Good Luck.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't crimp any of my rifle ammunition, up to and including .470 Capstick.
As already stated, neck tension is sufficient to keep the bullets in place under the gentle recoil of a .300Wby.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other guys. There is no need to crimp ammo for a 300 Weatherby. If you are tempted because of the crap that Lee is pushing with their crimping dies, forget it, it is not necessary or even desired!!!

I do not crimp ANY rifle cartidges, period. This includes ammo I loaded for a friend who shot several Cape Buffalo with his 375 H&H. (With ammo I loaded)

The ONLY reason I see to crimp rifle ammo is if you are going to use it in a tubular magazine on a hard kicking rifle, otherwise, forget it.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If you are tempted because of the crap that Lee is pushing with their crimping dies, forget it, it is not necessary or even desired!

Before you say things such as this -- things that I think are uninformed because you boast of not crimping any of your loads -- please go to the FAQ section of AR and read Saeed's tests of accuracy, using the Lee Factory crimp dies. It is entitled "The Effects of Crimping on Accuracy and Velocity." Saeed's tests show a measurable increase in accuracy with crimping.

The simple answer to the question 'Do you have to crimp?' is No. The more informed answer is that in at least some cases it does increase accuracy, so why not take advantage of every gain possible?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Sierra bullets have no cannelure.....even the .375 diameter for the H&H....

I agree with the others that the only place crimping is necessary is tubular magazines and heavy recoiling revolvers.

I'd have respect for Saeeds's findings on accuracy...and do my own tests in my own rifle.

So far all I can say is that crimping a bullet don't hurt anything.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sierra bullets have no cannelure.....even the .375 diameter for the H&H.

This is true. But it is also true that, when using the Lee Factory Crimp die, you need not crimp on a cannelure -- you can seat the bullet to whatever depth you like, and then crimp it there, without regard to whether or not the bullet has a cannelure, or, if it does, whether or not you've seated it to the cannelure.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote