New
Find
Notify
Tools

head separation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had a head separation while at the range today. Need advice as how to remove brass from chamber, without harming chamber. Any suggestions? Brass was 300 wby which was reloaded 2x. Load was 80 gr h4831-180 gr partition-gm215m primer.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ztreh:
Had a head separation while at the range today. Need advice as how to remove brass from chamber, without harming chamber. Any suggestions? Brass was 300 wby which was reloaded 2x. Load was 80 gr h4831-180 gr partition-gm215m primer.

Take it to the gun smith. That is the best way.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a .35 caliber bronze brush and run it into the chamber. It should snag the case and pull it out. You might want to try shooting a bit of penetration oil in first, but dry should work. Then, set your dies up to headspace on the shoulder rather than the belt.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have removed several in my 22-250 with the brush, works fine, I keep one in the truck when PD shooting

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, I'll give it a try.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
i use the brush most of the time. if that doesnt work I shake up a can of compressed air turn it up side down and spray the cold liquid onto the brass, works almost every time.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul B

Thanks for the brush tip, it worked on my 2nd try. The first try I forgot about the loaded cartridge indicator sticking into the chamber. After I held the indicator it was grabbed by the brush and popped right out--THANKS