New
Find
Notify
Tools

old bonanza scale too heavy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i bought an old bonanza scale from the 70's. the pan side of the beam is 0.3 grains too heavy and it will not zero with the beam level. i thought i could drill a hole or two in the pan handle to make it 0.3 grains lighter to balance the beam. any reason not too????

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saline,

My RCBS scale has a "washer-head" screw on the 10 gn weight, to make (what I would call) "drastic" corrections on the balance. You might check to see if yours has one. I would also wonder if it is the original pan. Drilling hole(s) in the handle could also work, if you don't have that screw. Either way, I would want to check the scale with various calibrated weights to make sure it is reading accurately at some of the heavier weights - before as well as after?

Good luck,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Never having seen one of these scales, it's hard to say. Can you post a picture?

If there are no permanent counterweights (nuts on a horizontal threaded post) like the Hornady, then maybe there's lead shot in the bottom of the pan cradle (like RCBS), if it even has one.

There's gotta be an easier way than drilling holes (like trying a new pan). Though, that will probably work if it comes down to it.

RSY

[ 11-18-2003, 18:51: Message edited by: RSY ]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bill ,rsy thanks for the reply; the bonanza, like several others is similar to the redding no.1 i bought from the late 50's, with no damping and no weights on bottom of pan like my lyman D5, and screw on beam in slot is all the way foward. so weight will have to come off the pan. with poise on 0.3 gr. it zeroes and checks out with lyman check weights. the scale fascinates me.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote