Find
Notify
Tools

Loading advice for 165 fp cast bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I received a party of 500 30-30 (165 gr fp ,308) meiester cast bulles . these bullets are not gaz check types and according to the maker has BNH of 14-16 brinell. The questions is which is max velocity for this kind of bullet and what kind of loading or powder charge works best? i got no hints from the maker [Frown] .
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny. I would probably keep the loads down in the 1400-1650 FPS range. I hesitate to suggest a load as I don't know which American powders are available to you.
I wouls start at the 1400 FPS range ans work up until you get signs of lead fouling in your barrel and drop back to where there is no leading.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny,

You can go two ways on getting low velocity. Paul B is correct in the velocity range.

If this is in a 30/30 cartridge, you have two ways. Low volume loads with fast powder. Alliant's powders are mostly made in Sweden, and distributed here under a different name than in Europe. Don't know if it is just contract manufacturing or repackaged Norma or Nobel powder.

IMR 4227, 4198 are two good fast powders, as is the Hodgdon 4227 and 4198. Alliant 2400, Blue Dot, Red Dot, Green Dot are also all very good powders for that kind of stuff.

You can also lower velocity and pressure by using a Large Pistol primer instead of a large rifle primer. In a 30/30 case this will work just fine.

The other route is too take some of the slowest burning powder, such as IMR 7828, RL 25, H 1000 etc and load the case up from 35 to 38 grains of powder. I am sure you can correlate the European versions or equivalents. Try this with a Large Rifle and then a large pistol primer and see which one gives you the better accuracy.

Also use your web browser and look for Cowboy Action shooting sites. These should list loads for you. In a 30/30 I have also found that using some of the load info for pistols ( the older ones) has been a good point of reference when I first started experimenting with these types of loads in a 30/30.

If you still need load data, send me a private email and I will dig out some of my reference material and email you back more specific information.

good luck and hope it turns out fun for you.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote