New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Turret Press Experiences Please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The thought of having 2-3 calibers worth of dies set sounds pretty darn good to me. So what is the down-side of this press or set-up? All I read about is the Lee turret. Anyone have the Redding? Thank you

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So what is the down-side of this press or set-up? Thank you

NONE... it is a great product as are all Redding products!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oh come on, give me a little more info than thatSmiler I ought to get stock options for all the Redding stuff I have purchased but I would still like some detail from an owner.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in this, too. I've got a Lyman turret press and it kinda sucks. The turret has too much play in it so it rocks when a load is put on the ram. If I put a shim between the turntable and the press frame on the opposite side of the ram and it solved the problem, but it's a hassle. I have to make sure the shim is firmly inserted and be sure it doesn't fall out.

Does the turntable on the redding have any play in it? Can the play be adjusted? I would think that Redding has figured out a way to resolve this problem, but I've never seen one.

Posts: 68 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
I have the older Redding turret, the Model 25. Pretty normal 6-hole turret head press.

Weighs a ton and then some. At times if I wiggle the head I think there might be a smidge of play, but not enough to be noticeable in my loaded rounds. I float the parts that need it, like replacing the shell-holder clip w/ an appropriately sized O-ring, and an O-ring under the die lock ring. No problems. I've produced a fair amount of ammo w/ low to no runout (0-3 thou) depending on the individual setup on this press.

Biggest thing that aggravates me about it is the primer catch system isn't the best, and the spent primers don't always end up in the little bin, but end up spitting out on the floor. Simple (cheezy) solution is to hang a gallon ice cream bucket from the pivot joint where the handle connects to the linkage, and it'll catch any 'strays'.

I've thought about getting a heavier duty single stage for bigger stuff, or to eliminate any *chance* of the side to side play. I honestly don't currently load for anything bigger than .30-06, and like I said, my ammo is pretty good I think for using 7/8-14 threaded dies. I probably will get a big single stage like a Rockchucker Supreme, Big Boss, or Forster CoAx when I move up to a bigger caliber for long range.

I'll probably get a progressive before I get another single stage, though. This one works pretty good overall.

HTH,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I think the new Redding turret is a 7 hole, even heavier than their previous 6 hole. I imagine if your press is pretty tight, the new one isn't going to be any worse.

I've got the same problem with the Lyman press in regard to primers getting away. I made a small posterboard box that pretty much catches them all, but one will bounce out on occasion.

Posts: 68 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I've had a T7 for about a year.
I'm totally impressed.
This is the first turret press i've owned .
It's made life easier and the runout on finished cartridges is the same or better than my single stages.
I use a hand held primer tool and have not tried the press mounted primer tool.
I mounted my powder measure on it,but may remount it on its original stand as it is inconvient when mounted on the press.
You could probably use it as an anvil when not reloading.
It needs a reversable operating handle like the new Rockchucker for us leftys , but i've been reloading right handed for so many years,it probably would just confuse me now.
Good press.
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote