Find
Notify
Tools

chronys and cold weather?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
I've been thinking about getting a chronograph lately. How do they do in cold weather (between 0*F and 32*F). I dont want to get it if I wont be able to use it until april. Thanks in advance.
Ron.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
I have a PACT I that I have used in winter weather, snow on the ground and overcast, temprature around the mid 20's. It has never had a problem. (At least not yet.)

The only thing I have had to look out for is very overcast days. If there is not enough light, the sensors can't see the bullet pass over. You have to watch your overhead cover also, same result if you don't get enough light.

I'm real glad I got it. It helped me a great deal in the development of pistol data. Some rounds would shoot alright, but the velocities were all over the place. Wouldn't have known with out the chronograph.

Good luck!

------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

http://www.sandygunworks.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had problems with mine last weekend. It would not pick up my 454 bullets going through it. There was snow on the ground below it and overcast. The electronics had no problems that I noticed due to the cold. It's a CED Millenium chrono.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The basic electronics are crystal controlled, so you won't have a problem with temperature making the timing circuits drift (at least not that you'll notice). My Chrony takes a definite 50 fps dip when the diffusers are still in place and a cloud sails by. As nearly as I can tell, results are solid as long as the sun is casting distinct shadows.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started using my PACT in November last year and was not happy with the performance until I found out that it was a low battery problem. Now that I use a car battery with 9 V outlet, everything works great.

What I want to say is this: It's not the chronograph - care for battery capacity, have some extra batteries with you and keep them warm.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Happiness is a warm battery. Put it in an inside shirt pocket when you're changing targets. Better yet, use two batteries and be sure they're fresh. One day my loads were getting slower as the powder charges went up. Finally the low battery warning went on and the voltage was under 7. Half an hour in the house brought it back to 9.

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who say that low battery power is a problem. I use a new 9 volt alkaline battery in each shooting session, and if the outside temperature is low I heat up the battery by putting it in an inside pocket near my body.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
The only problem I've encountered is that the LCD display my Chrony tends to freeze-up and such at cold temps. I've found the same trbl with other gear like multi-meters and such as well.

<bobshawn>
posted
efryman __

Get the infrared sensor kit for your CED Millenium. Shoot in the dark if you care to do so. Costs about 90 bucks. A good investment.

Good shooting.

Robert