New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck sizing and chambering
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
I just started loading for a 270 WSM and I bought a RCBS neck sizer set (I couldn't afford the redding dies). I have a problem with chambering the rounds. I really have to muscle the bolt closed. Is this normal? I think that this could be a problem if I ever need to make a follow up shot. The factory ammo chambers without effort. Any advice? And no, I don't have a full length sizer.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Are there any markings on either the case or the bullet after trying to chamber one of your reloads?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New member here. I was having the same problem with my Remington PSS (223) until I bought a Stoney Point headspace gauge, tested my chamber, then checked the cases that wouldn't load properly. I then realized that the shoulders of those cases needed to be bumped back a bit. Get yourself a FL die, use it every 3rd or 4th time you reload the cases and the problem should go away.

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA:
Any advice? And no, I don't have a full length sizer.

Hey MOA, I agree with Sanman that you "probably" just need a Full Length Resizer Die.

It could be an out-of-round chamber, but that condition is a relatively rare situation. And you could determine it with a 0.0001" capable Micrometer.

Make sure your "Necks" are not thickening and the length is within spec. Either could also cause difficult chambering. One other thing might be if the Seating Die is set too low, it "might" be forcing the shoulder to "widen" the front of the casebody.

I know a lot of folks love the Neck Sizer Dies, but I've always found the Full Length Dies set to Partial-Full Length Resize(P-FLR) shoot with a bit more accuracy for me. Yes, you do need to lube the cases and remove it, but I just toss them in the Tumbler with some corncob and the lube is gone in a short time.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<J Snyman>
posted
MOA

Some time ago a similar problem appeared on this forum regarding a 243 rifle.

You say that factory ammo fits without any problems, but your reloads don't.

So it is obvious that something has changed, and the problem is to find out what did.

To solve a similar problem, I set about it as follows :

Take some new factory rounds and colour them black using a permanent felt marking pen. (the whole cartridge - from its tip to the back of the head). Chamber them and check if the ink has rubbed of any where.

Now fire them, and repeat the process with the empty cases. Unless you have a headspace problem, or something similar, they should fit without any problems. An out of round chamber, short neck or the like will reveal itself.

Now resize some cases, and repeat the above.

Now load, and repeat. If you crimp, you might be bulging the neck or shoulder slightly, but the rubbed of ink will reveal the contact area.

I full-length rezize all my cases, and have had no problems so far - some of my cases have been reloaded more than 15 times and are still working. I pick up the odd split in the neck now and then, but that does not bother me too much as I have enough brass.

Good luck in solving your problem.

Johan

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Since this is the WSM case, which has the sharp shoulder, I would start by suspecting that the expander ball is moving the shoulder forward.

Remove the expander ball and neck size the case. If this case chambers, it's the expander. If not, I'd look for an out-of-round condition, somewhere. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
Your not giving us enough info here. Like Steve asked is there any marks on brass or bullet on your handloads? If these are once fired cases I would suspect that the bullets are seated to far out or your brass needs to be trimmed. If you have a normal chamber it is unlikely that the shoulder needs to be bumped after one loading. I don't know you or your loading experience but from the little info you have presented here I would first suspect seating depth.
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
WSM factory loads are at, or according to some experiences related on this forum, beyond acceptable pressure limits. If a case is stretched to the full limits of the chamber upon initial firing, then a FL sizing may be required to allow it to rechamber easily.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Until a handloader is very experianced it's best to FL size all loads. As Stonecreek says that is most likely a hot factory load and FL sizing is necessary-period.

In a most recent article David Tubbs who is a national champion says he FL sizes all of his cases. This should be good enough for everyone unless loads that are far less than maximum are used.

If a case is FL sized just right the cases will last a long time and you will have perfect function.

This shooter must get a FL die. Shoot some other rifle or factory loads until it comes.

I suppose one could pull bullets on factory loads or get new brass and load them light until the FL die comes.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Maybe someone else asked this but how far down the neck are you actually resizing. It's critical to stop just before the neck starts tapering outward or you get a couple thousanths bulge which is the equivalent of not bumping the shoulder back. I usually resize only about 85-95% of the case neck and I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO RECHAMBER ANY ROUND THAT WOULD CHAMBER BEFORE I PUT IT IN THE NECK DIE. Re: the full length die I have to admit it's much tougher to get good concentricity out of neck dies cause the rest of the shell is not being held in place like a full length die. Good Luck!!

<goneballistic>
posted
I'd have to agree with Dutch. Does your fired brass rechamber with much effort? If it is your expander the solution is to polish the expander, also clean and lube the inside of the case necks thoroughly before sizing. Getting them clean is key, otherwise the lube will form a gritty mud.