New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying Dies - Which ones?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sorry for the new guy questions but am about to order my first reloading dies and wanted some help. I purchased a Rockchucker Master Reloading kit and trimmer, now I need to buy dies. I'm planning on purchasing Precision Mic's for each caliber, so figure I don't need the competetion dies.

My question is RCBS standard dies, X dies or should I get and can I use, Lee collet dies or ????

Any input is appreciated.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the products of all the major manufacturers. I now just buy lee dies as they work well and cost less.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like redding best.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To show you how much of a newbie I am, just want to verify that Lee and Redding dies will fit in an RCBS press?

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Redding dies are top notch! I have both RCBS and Redding. I didn't care for Lee when I looked at them. The Redding dies have the same threads as RCBS so they'll fit your press.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pumpkinheaver Post in the classifieds. You can probaly find what you need at a great price. I have a seat of Fl .223 RCBS, .Fl .300 WBY.MAG. RCBS and Fl .257 Roberts RCBS. that are new in the box. Got these in trades and don't need them. You can also check ebay just bought a three die set of .270 rcbs. for $30.00 nib. So shop around and these guys can save you so bucks. [Wink]

Posts: 4 | Location: Southeastern Oklahoma | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers dies. I happen to have a preference for Hornaday/RCBS dies for bottleneck cartridges and the Lee dies for pistol. All have served me well.

Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I think everyone has their preferences. Mine is for Lee collet dies and Redding body dies.

The only thing I hate more than wiping off lube is trimming... LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the price and quality I'm voting for Hornady.
I can make as good of ammo on my hornady as my Forester bench rest dies. Also like the lee collet die for bolt actions---but you'll eventually need to full length size.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady New Dimension seating die is a universal die for all cartridges of that bullet diameter. Thus it does not line up or support the body of the case at all. On top of that the floating collar that is universal to fit all necks and shoulders is a very sloppy fit on the shoulder and with itself to the inside of the die that it travels in.

Also the bullet is held in a floating chamber and I don't like that part of the design either.

Hornady does make a carbide replacement stem and button for RCBS dies. This is a very good product.

For dies those made by RCBS, CH, Foster and Redding are good. The Lee neck sizing collar dies are good also.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SmallCal---Good for you! don't apologize for being new and asking good questions. Every body shares ideas, we all learn something. I agree with 500grains, I like Redding, I particularly like their compition seater's ,make it real easy to go from bullet to bullet . Used in conjunction with a Sinclair or Stoney Point comparator makes it real easy to maintain seating depth from one type bullet to the next. About the precision mics, they are quite helpful in establishing head space on fired cases compared to sammi specs but for seating depth I,ve found them dificult to use(not very consistant).I much prefer the comparator compitition seater method, but that's just me. I,m sure some of these guys have other ideas. ---Shoot Safe---montdoug

[ 04-09-2003, 21:46: Message edited by: montdoug ]

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the cartriges I reload for, Redding appears to be constructed to tighter tolerances than the RCBS dies I tried.

All die sets I by now are Redding. They fit any standard threaded press.

HBL

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I like redding rifle dies, and Lee carbide pistol dies. I'd also go with Lee rifle dies over RCBS rifle dies.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the name brand presses use 7\8th x 14 thread dies, so they all interchange.

IMHO Redding and Forster have the best fit and finish. That goes for all the products they make not just the competition stuff.

Get the Lee Collet neck sizing die in addition to whatever full length die set you end up buying. But it only works for cases you fire and then reload for the same rifle. The case body is fireformed in your rifle to your distinct chamber and only the neck is then squeezed enough to hold a new bullet. After a few firings and neck resizings, your ammo will need full length resized again because the brass is moving from the head area towards the neck. They grow overlength and need to be trimmed.

I'm sure you'll find handloading to be a fulfilling and life-long hobby. Always remember that the info you get on this site is no substitute for the vast knowledge in reloading manuals. Buy more than one. In time it will become necessary to get another as manufacturers change their components. For example: Alliant Unique now has a different formulation than the old Hercules Unique. You'll need an up-to-date manual to get the correct recipe for the new powder.

Have fun!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If Hornady dies are a "bad" design others should run (not walk) to try and match it's performance. I have them in .308, .223, 45-70, and 270wby. ALL DIES MAKE VIRTUAL ZERO RUNNOUT LOADED AMMO. Maybe I've been lucky--but my rcbs casemaster smiles everytime I run hornady loaded ammo accross it!! A friend of mine had the good fortune to take his final Grand Slam Sheep in Mexico with a single shot from his .270 wby at a lasered 680 yds. One of the packers later asked if he "could have one of his magic bullets". Now how can you argue with that!!!??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Al Smith>
posted
Add another vote for Redding.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Kraky, I've known you a long time and respect your experience and opinions. I can only say that my experience with the Hornady dies has been mixed!!! I have a set in .340 Weatherby that makes "fair" ammo..... .003 to .004 runnout. But, my set in .30-06 makes HORRIBLE ammo. I removed the decapping pin and neck expander. Consequently, I found that the neck was bored about .003 out of concentric!!! I much prefer Forster/Bonanza, C and H, and Lee Collet dies.

Just my opinion and experience.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Redding, RCBS, Lyman and even an old set of Herters dies but in recent years have bought only Redding Dies. I am impressed with their quality. No problems with the others though.

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can swing it, go for the lee deluxe set. it's a full length sizer, neck sizer, and seater. midway's got a good selection for a reasonable price. the lee website has a few more calibers but at a higher price. the dies are a breeze to set up according to the directions, and work pretty well. the one cheesy thing about them are the lock rings (o-ring instead of a setscrew) but they seem to work just as well. i bought a set for my .243 and think i'm going to use them exclusively for other calibers, even if i have to order them from the factory. that's about as much help as i can give, i'm just starting out too.

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the major manufactorers usualy make good dies , but any of them can turn out a bad one.
I recently got ahold of a set of RCBS .375 h&h . The seating plug is so rough you have a devil of a time using any compressed load . The bullet nose will stick and pull right back out of the case. I think I will replace them with a set of Hornadays . [Big Grin] I use those in half a dozen calibers now , and while I have never measured runout , they all load very accurate ammo .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YUP--everyone makes a lemon sooner or later. My lemon is a set of Redding dies--just can't get them to make good runnout in my .340 weatherby.
I may send them back someday or fiddle with them some more. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy another set of redding but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth just like anything like that would.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Hornady,Lee,RCBS and Redding,the next two sets I will get for a 8 X 57 and a 338.06 will be Lee.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I handload; .222, .223, .243, 25acp, 257 Roberts AI, 6.5x55, 7x57mm, 32acp, 32sw, 32Long, 32-20,
7.62x25mm,30-30, 303Sav, .308, 30-06, 7.62x39mm, 303Brit, 7.72x54R, 8x57mm, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357 Sig, 38 sp, 357 mag, 38sw, 40sw, 10mm, 10.4mm, 44 mag, 45acp, 45Colt, 452/70, .410, and 45/70.

I have Lee, RCBS, Forster, Redding, and Wilson dies.

The only really good comparison I have done between brands is the average runout of a .223 cartrige seated with a cheap RCBS seater die is .002" and the average runout with an expensive Forster Ultra seater die is .001" [measured at the ogive and referenced to the case body].

I can also say that from removing the expander ball I got a .005" improvment, that I suspect is more important than what brand of die is used.

[ 04-12-2003, 21:59: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark---I agree completely with your point on expander balls. I'm thinking the expander combined with uneven neck thickness wrecks concentricity more than anything else. If abolutely no run out is the goal I'd use an in- line, like Wilsons. Besides, it's awful tough to find a case that will load .ooo run out ( lots of culls). With all the variables in a firearm it takes a hell of a gun to shoot much difference between .ooo and .oo2 runout. If your shooting that much rifle,inlines aren't as fast but load truer ammo.Thats my pick---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
After tryin most of em, i vote for Redding....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
The Top 5:

1. Forster

2. Forster

3. Forster

4. Forster

5. Redding (following close behind)

RSY [Cool]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<KING>
posted
Had trouble resizing my .308's for my gas gun with RCBS SB dies. Tried a set of Dillon Carbide dies for a 308 (Still need lube-Used Imperial Sizing Die Wax) these worked very well and have an added benefit of a stuck case remover built in. Use what you have the best luck with. I still use Lee, and RCBS in my other caliber's. Might I suggest a Lee factory collet crimp die for loads that don't headspace of the mouth IE., 45ACP, 9MM etc. Lee factory crimp dies work well on semi auto rifles. Good luck and good shooting!

<eldeguello>
posted
ALL metallic cartridge loading dies, except for the Lyman dies for their 310 tool, have the same size thread. I have found Reddding, RCBS, and Forster Benchrest dies, and Hornady to be excellent. Lyman, Lee, and C&H also give good results.