Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Started
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted
Guys, never reloaded before, but thinking of getting started.

I was looking at buying an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit. Supposed to have everything you need to reload.

Is this the way to go, or would you buy the bits and pieces seperately?

What do you all say?

Thank you.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think most of us started with a kit, either RCBS or Lee. In my case it was Lee. If I had it to do again, I would go with the RCBS kit since most of my Lee stuff has been sold off or given away. I now use an RCBS press, Dillon scale, Lyman powder measure, well you get the picture.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started as well and bought the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit. It has "most" everything you need and if you buy it all seperate it will cost a lot more. I priced it all out both ways, the kit is the better way for sure. I will say that I have already added a lot of other things to the kit though. I bought a tumbler, a piggyback holder for the powder measure, a caliper and the list goes on and on. Since this is the first press I have touched I can't really compare it to anything else, though it seems very sturdy.

Wes

----
Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like shopping you could start with a loading manual and use the kit's inventory list as a need/want list the kit's I believe offer a savings compared to what it would cost to buy the list seperatly some of the items in the kit are however low end.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend getting the kit. I would also add a hand-primer (RCBS makes a nice one as does Lee, and others). You will also need shell holders for your caliber and a set of dies.

Add your consumables (primers, bullets, powder and brass) and you're ready to get started. I would strongly urge you to pickup a loading book or two and read-up on the process.

Good luck and enjoy handloading.

doug

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote