THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best?, Worst?, Average?, All of them?... Why???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As you go about your Load Development, are you primarily interested in the:

1. Best groups.
2. Worst groups.
3. Average of the groups.
4. All of the groups individually.
5. None of the above. (Thanks Cold Bore)
---

If you include the Why aspect, it should help the Beginners a lot. And if your Priority changes during the Load Development, feel free to include that as well.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
5. None of the above Wink

I tend to look for "tendencies" or "potential".

If a rifle & load "tend" to shoot say 1/2" groups, with a few occassionally below that and only one or two larger than that (especially if I can explain the larger groups), I tend to like it.

If a rifle is shooting 2" groups, and I somehow hold my mouth just right, catch the calm wind, and manage a single 1/2" group, that rifle is NOT suddenly a 1/2" rifle, just cause it did it once. It also does not much influence the "average" in my mind, as I see it as a fluke (as would a very large group that happened only once, and was noticeably different from "normal" for the rifle).

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveTrying to keep it simple,small groups for varmint hunting mgunand paper punching.

Cold bore first shot repeatability for large game. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
In my .270 winchester I go for average of groups for the 130 and the 150 grain bullet.
I can shoot them both to the same approx point of aim up to about 275-300 yards and know
that they will hit within an inch ofeach other
along the entire distance.
I like to keep all my rifles shooting with the same approx trajectory so it takes the guess work out of longer shots.

In other rifles and calibers it is kept to
1 load 1bullet and 1 powder that is the most
accurate.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also depends on what you're going to use it for. Need an elk cartridge, then you will want the best "premium" bullet that you can shoot. An inch won't make that much difference. If you need it for whitetail, then if you can make a core-lockt shoot well then that will be just fine.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
HotCore,

I usually keep the groups that are really tight (I just cut a little square out of the target and put it in a file or stick it on the File cabinet). Once I have several of that one particular load that start to show consistency, I'll usually go by them and cull the others. For instance, If I have five-six groups on file of a particular load and 3-4 are .45-.55" and two are 3/4" then, I'll cull the two large groups and feel confident that the rifle is capable of consistent groups in the 1/2" range.

So, I guess I'd have to go w/ #1 but, Consistency is the key.

I've seen some rifles shoot several 1-1.5" groups and then shoot a freak .4". Sure does make ya scratch your head.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
My answer is n:r 5. I find reloading a bit boring - I reload because I want ammunition to my own specification. The proper bullet in the proper weight at proper velocity in the proper spot. Wink

E.g.: for my Win88 IN .308 I found a good load with a Sierra 180 grs RN @ 2700 fps and 1"@100yds. Just what I want, so I stop there and make a bundle for the range and the adjacent season. A more enthusiastic loader would work that fine still better, but I just don't need better.

However, I do not accept bad results. For the moment, I am trying to find a good load for my Hornet. Surely it will demand some labour, and I will do it, because it is necessary. But having found it, I will be a lazy loader again. Roll Eyes

Regards,

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My goal in load development is easy accuracy, ie I want to choose one bullet and one powder, an within one or two itterations, have a decent hunting load. My criteria is a 3 shot 100 yd group of 1 1/2" or less. If I try 2-3 different bullets and 2 powders and can't achieve that goal, then the gun is a turkey and will be sold or re-barrelled. With most popular chamberings, there is enough data out there to pick the right bullet and powder and have good results right off the bat.

The allure of experimenting and fiddling with loads to make a gun that doesn't wan to shoot shoot has long lost it's appeal. I simply don't have the time to spend all my precious little range time fiddling with loads.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
First I determine what the rifle/load will be used for, specifically.

Then I decide how much accuracy is enough (and what kind (first shot accuracy, group accuracy, etc.)

Next I determine what pressure signs I feel safe loading to.

After that, I determine the most suitable type of bullet for that use.

Then I try to find a combo with the most easily and least expensively obtainable components which will meet those accuracy, pressure sign, and bullet construction requirements.

Next to last, if I am really after top group accuracy as a goal, I concentrate on group aggregate size, and group shape (round, horizontal, vertical, etc.).

Then I tune for group size, shape, and enviromental firing conditions.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it's all about repeatability and consistency so #3 "Average Of the Groups" is what's most important to me.

Just as you can screw up and send a flyer an inch or so away and open up a group, you can also screw up and accidently stack the bullets on top of each other. For that reason, ndividual groups don't tell you much.

That's where either shooting multiple 5 shot groups and/or averaging a lot of 3 shot groups comes into play. For me, it has to be consistently repeatable.

If I can repeatably and consistently shoot those sub MOA groups with a particular load, I start to get that "warm fuzzy" and start building confidence in that load. Only then will I use that load in the field.

firstshot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
I look for the load that saves me the most money.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I first pick the bullet that best suits my need. Then research and pick a powder for that load. As I work up loads to check max, I shoot 2 shot groups at each powder level to get a feel for accuracy. If its a load for hunting, I'll watch where the first shot goes compared to the second from a clean/cold berrel.

Once I've established max pressure:

I'll quit here if velocity isn't where I planned and start over with another powder.

If I get in the velocity range I want, I'll continue to develop/learn. First, to make the load more reliable (if hunting load) and second to make it more accurate. Accuracy improvement is with 3 shot gruops for a hunting load and 5 shot groups if target load.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always list my smallest group in my reloading sheets. Each time I take the rifle to the range it gives me something to shoot for, a smaller group. It's sort of a game I play, competing against myself. Having said that, after a while I'm well aware of my average size groups. Shooting 5 shot groups all the time kind of reinforces that. But I'm always aware of the average sized groups the rifle fires. You never want to mistake that once in a lifetime bughole group for being symptomatic of the rifles true accuracy. Life just doesn't work that way. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
HC

I try to get the most out of each category (terminal ballistics, accuracy, bullet construction, trajectory, consistency) and make a subjective judgement about what load I want to shoot.

Don't know why, but to me a 180 grain Swift A Frame that shoots 1" is more appealing than a 180 grain Sierra Match King that shoots 1/2".

That's why I shoot mostly Barnes TSX loads, cause they have it all.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will not profess to be an expert in the shooting side of the sport but I am looking for repeatable/consistant results with my hunting loads. I first find the right bullet or bullets for the use. Then I look for the best average grouping load for the purpose, consistency. If it is not repeatable then it really doesn't mean much to me. Finally I look for cold barrel POI consistency in a hunting rifle/load.

If I know for sure that human error effected the group I will throw it out...this includes the fluke good groups that do happen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core: When I get a new Rifle and go about developing a load for it - I first decide what bullet I want to use in it. Then I develop a load with that bullet that is accurate and then consistent F.P.S. wise.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Double js
posted Hide Post
Precision, accuracy and consistancy. I agree with what others have posted about it depending on what you're loading for...a groundhog at 500 yards vs. a deer at 100 yards.

Posts: 41 | Location: SW PA | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
As you go about your Load Development, are you primarily interested in the:

1. Best groups.
2. Worst groups.
---

It depends on what firearm I'm loading for! Revolvers I try for the best average group of one load. There's days that I'm on and there's days that I just bearly hit the berm. With my 357s I load for hot 38 spec, using 357 cases that are very precise on my ON days. My 45 acp and 45 Auto rims I aim for factory equivelent power level and precision accuracy. With my 45 Colts I am looking for power first with so,so accuracy, 3 - 4 inches at 50 yards.
With my 25 06 I'm looking for one hole at 100 yards and nearly the same at 500. I think of the 25 06 a nearly ideal critter sniper rifle with a 100 grain Sierra or Speer .
The 308, is another ideal long range rifle for plinking gongs way out yonder. I want to hit a playing card at 300 yards every time, out of a ten round magazine, with with 168 grain BTHP or 168 BTFMJ.
My 30-06, model 95 is a cast bullet gun, so 2 inches at 100 yards, with jacketed bullet equivent loads, with iron sights. This is for plinking and some day hunting.
My 375 Whelen is another cast bullet rifle, using 35 Whelen jacketed loads as loading data. This to for hunting and plinking. Think of it as a 375 H&H, short. I've gotten as small as 1 inch groups off the bench with this rifle, using a scope. A day of load testing with this rifle is about as much fun as this fella can stand.
My 405 Winchester and 45-70 levers are my treasures. They are cast bullet only, full power loads for hunting and gong busting at 100 and 200 yards. I like to see 1.5 inch groups off the bench, then I'll load up a 100 rounds and shoot them off hand. I'll keep shooting that load until I've used up all of the bullets from that casting lot. Once I've shot up that lot of bullets I'll most likely need to adjust my sights a bit for the next lot of cast bullets. Most cases the powder charge remains the same but point of impact shifts.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
All of the above. Big Grin

No really, I want to see the best groups for the ego shot, the worst groups to know what the load's worst case is, the average so I know what is normal, and each individual group tells me more about each of the above.

Oh, and none of the above since when the hair is in the crosshairs, I am the limiting factor anyways! nut

Everything listed is important to pay attention too, none of it should be obsessed about, unless you like obsessing or are a competition shooter. For a hunter and hobbyist like myself, it's all part of the fun.

YMMV!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Probably #3.

Sometimes the best groups are a fluke, but usually if the average groups are acceptable then the worst groups are more than likley not going to be far off.

Only when the results are bad enough to seek a different load do the worst groups bother me.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for the outstanding insight into the way we reload and why. It is not what I expected at all, but it does indicate there is no one particular way or reason for the way each of us reloads. As I looked at it, I thought it might end up confusing the Beginners, but now I'm not so sure. I believe it will show them whay we have such diverse thoughts on how to go about doing the different aspects of the reloading process.

I look forward to more anyone who cares to post their methods.
---

I use most of the list at various times:

1. Best groups.
2. Worst groups.
---

I actually look for:
1. Best groups.
2. Worst groups.

In the Initial development process using either Sierra MatchKings or Nosler B-Tips to Benchmark a new rifle. If it won't shoot either of those well, it is either Trade Bait or time to re-barrel for me. Also if it has HUGE and TINY groups using those Bullets, I consider something is wrong with the Powder or the Barrel. Usually try a couple more Powders to see if I can improve variance in the:

If that is close to my chosen Standard and the variation is relatively close then I'm happy.

Then developing Loads with a Hunting Grade bullet begins for me. If it will Average in the 6s with lows and highs in the 4s-8s, then I'm REAL happy. If not, I generally keep trying a different Bullet.
---

And finally:

Are put in 3-ring binders for reference. Always nice to look back and see what was Tested and how well or how bad those Loads(and I) shot on a particular day.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills to all you folks.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote