THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you remove case lube before firing rounds?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if it is a good idea to remove the case lube from the brass before firing the round and if so, what should I use?

Additionally, when I chamfer the mouth of my .375 brass, I am noticing that small pieces of brass are sticking inside the neck of the case. Does that need to be removed before seating the bullet and how should it be done?

Thanks.

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes remove the lube leaving lube on your cases can greatly increase the chamber pressure. I would use a Q tip to remove the brass I wouldn't want it going down my barrel struck betwen the bullet and barrel.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
After the cases are sized, and before they are primed, rinse them in either TCE or MEK.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

[This message has been edited by ricciardelli (edited 05-05-2002).]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I would not fool with any solvents just to clean cases. Maybe I am wrong about that and John Wooters in his book on reloading suggested solvents for cleaning cases also. I just want to avoid my exposure to them that's all.

I wipe the cases off on the outside with a towel. On the inside of the necks I wipe each neck with a rag twice. I do each case the same and use right size allen wrench for that caliber to get the rag inside the neck. Old cotton sheets are the best material.

Do chips of brass in the necks make a difference? The answer to this is the same as when should a sailor reef? The time to reef is when you first think of it.

[This message has been edited by Don Martin29 (edited 05-05-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't even use a tumbler, and clean my .338WM cases as follows:

Before sizing/decapping, I brush the inside of the case with a nylon 25mm pistol bore-brush to remove any trash. Then I lubricate the inside (neck area) with RCBS water soluble lube, size the necks, and finally trim the cases if needed.

I clean the primer pockets, and then wash the inside of the cases with the nylon brush, liquid soap, and plenty of hot water, followed by a thorough rinse with hot water.

I shake the cases to remove any water, and place them in an aluminum leading block that has small drain holes. After that, I dry the cases with a hair dryer (blower), or I place them in the oven at the lowest temperature possible (around 150 degrees) for 30 minutes. Otherwise I blow-dry them, and then place them outside to let the sun do the work. Finally, I keep them in a dry and dust-free place until I need them.

The aluminum block can be built as follows: Take a 6"x8" flat piece of aluminum, and with a drill press drill the correct size holes for your cases. You will need another piece of aluminum to serve as a base to hold the loading block elevated. Use thin and long screws, with at least 3 nuts each to create 4 pillars. Drill a hole at each corner of the aluminum pieces, and use the four screws or spacers to hold the two pieces of aluminum together and far apart from each other. The idea is to have enough room between the plates so the cases can be suspended uspside-down without touching the lower plate. The gap between the cases mouths and the lower plate allows the water to drain.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 05-05-2002).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireplug>
posted
I second the endorsement for the water soluable lubes, but I prefer Lee's. When the cases are preped simply pretend you are doing the dishes and wash them in hot! water. If the water is hot enough the dry them selves. A second benefit is that by appling the lube the allowing it to dry before sizing I have not had a dented case in about a dozen years.
Fireplug

<.>
posted
Varmint Al's recommends polishing the mouth of the case with steel wool. He uses a "spinner" made from a copper pipe cap stuffed with steel wool and hard soldered to a piece of drill rod so that it can be chucked into a drill.

I stuffed a pipe cap with steel wool and rotate the mouth on the wool by hand. Then I remove the debris inside the case with a cotton swab.

Varmint Al discusses this "clean up" process in pretty specific detail.

Here's a link to Varmint Al's:

http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/arelo.htm

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Don Martin29...

You will not expose yourself to solvents, but you have no hessitation about primer dust, lead or the solvents contained in powders?

Solvents, like all tools, are fantastic when they are used properly...

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After resizing I chuck them in my homemade tumbler , this works like a bomb if anyone is interested in photos & instructions please do not hesitate to email me , cost came to about R 60.00 roughly converted into US $ about 6 - 10 dollars.

Shoot straight , Shoot often
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops!!

Forgot to include . I wont be home this week coming so dont get p!@# off if I dont reply before Friday.

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
ricciardelli,

Thanks for the heads up on primer and powder dust. But I don't think I will bother with dipping cases in solvents or wiping them with my hands anyway. But thanks. At least I will avoid that hazzard.

I don't think benchrest shooters that load at the bench use solvents. I know I did not.

And anyway to get metal really clean soap and a triple rinse is quite good. The days of triclor are past us for the most part thank goodness.

<Ola>
posted
I wote for the method used by Fireplug. Simple and easy. I use watersoluble oil (RCBS case lube-2), and pour the rounds in HOT water after reloading is finished. I always use a towel afterwards. If very dirty cases, some washing-powder may be added. There will be overpreassure in a newly reloaded carteridge, giving a guarantie that water will not get into it. Be aware of bullets with large hollow points; you may get water in some of these. With such bullets I shake all carteridges to be sure there is not water in the bullet. (Dont know if it is necessary). There is a possibility of getting water in a dented case, but it never happened to me. A case with such a dent will most likely be discovered earlier in the proses.

Ola

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron L.

I use water soluable spray lubes for all the cases I size in non-carbide dies. To clean them I place them in a small container and add a couple of squirts of GOJO handcleaner. It is fairly cheap and the stuff does the job. I then let them soak for half-dozen minutes and then rinse 2 or 3 times is HOT water. Then it is to the oven. I place mine on aluminum foil or a cookie sheet at 225 degrees for about 10 minutes. I then just let them cool slowly in the oven that I have turned off. A quick swip with a neck brush and maybe a primer pocket cleaning tool and they are ready to reload. I don't use the primer pocket tool every time...it just depends on how they look...Good-luck...BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I don't do a thing but wipe the lube off with a clean paper towel as I finish sizing and start handling. All you really need to do is to make sure the case doesn't have enough lube on it to affect the grip on the chamber walls as it expands upon firing. It's unnecessary to completely degrease.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<MAKATAK>
posted
I quit using RCBS lube a long time ago, just too messy to deal with. I use Imperial or Forsters sizing wax. After trimming I put the case in a Sinclair spinner in a drill and debur, then use the famous blue paper shop towel to clean off the wax, then toss the case into a Midway tumbler with corncob media and let the vibes do the rest of the work. Takes about one hour while I set up powder scales and measures, get my load data straightened out and entered into my records, pick out bullets, primers and powder, have a soda or sandwich, contemplate, pontificate, whatever. I run a nylon brush with a slight coating of the wax down the neck when I pick the cases out of the media, after I dump the media, of course.

Bullets slip into and out of the neck well and haven't had any bullets move due to recoil...yet. If I get a little too much wax on the brush the powder sticks to the inside of the neck but the wax doesn't seem to cause a problem with the powder going into the case (except with the 17's), the ignition or seating the bullets. I always have bright, clean, loaded cases, and they seem to shoot better also.

<OTTO>
posted
After sizing and trimming I put them through my tumbler and corncob media just to get the lube off.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always used denatured alchohol on a piece of paper towel to wipe the lube off the cases. It can be bought at any paint store. It also disolves the black sharpie load info I have written on test loads. I've been told that any oil left on the cases causes more bolt force by preventing the brass from grabbing the chamber walls.

------------------
if you run, you just die tired

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same as Otto, after I've resized and deprimed, into the tumbler they go. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually this is very easy to solve---I will not deal with the solvents because of several reasons. Just drop the cases into the tumbler to remove any traces of the lubricant. I have 2 of the Dillon units one with walnut media for the first clean then the other with corn cob to remove the lube and add the bright shine.

Dave

Posts: 109 | Location: Colleyville,TX | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
RON L,
The procedure I finally settled on is to use a universal deprimming die to knock out the primers and then I cleadn the primer pockets and throw the cases into the tumbler. Once the cases are clean I neck size them and trim for length as necessary. Then they go back into the tumbler for another cleaning. I've found that this minimizes carbon in the case and especially the neck. Then their good to go.

------------------
BigBob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to re tumble brass to remove lube, but since I rarely reload more than 20 rounds at a time, I now wipe off the lube with finger nail polish remover, often after/ while trimming with Lee case trimmer. Read about it in some book, and it seems to work fine.

Posts: 168 | Location: Lyndonville, NY USA, en route to Central Square | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob338:
I don't do a thing but wipe the lube off with a clean paper towel as I finish sizing and start handling. All you really need to do is to make sure the case doesn't have enough lube on it to affect the grip on the chamber walls as it expands upon firing. It's unnecessary to completely degrease.

AMEN, Bob. I've used exactly your method for the last 40 years and haven't had problem one.

Tumbling cases after they are lube sized is just a great way to get the media stuck in your primer flash hole and screw up ignition. Using solvent and putting cases in water to "wash them" is equally crazy and another good way to compromise primers and powder with moisture. I've never heard such wacky suggestions!

Just wipe your cases clean with a good absorbent towel or rag is all you need do. If a person uses the new spray on lubes, there is hardly anything to wipe off in the first place. All this other nonesense is much ado about nothing. Needless steps added to reloading until finally making bullets become a real pain in the ass production.

Listen to Bob. He's dead on this one.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will also comment about all this worrying about the inside neck lube and how to get it out.
First, there should be damn little lube IN the neck, ever...just the minimum for smooth passage thru the reloading dies.
Gooking up the inside neck of each case for reloading is unnecessary and sloppy form.
Second, IF the inside neck lubricant is kept to absolute minimum as it should be, there is nothing to worry about in the reloading cycle. What infinatesimal amout of lubricant may be left inside the case instantly ceases to exist when you pull the trigger and unleash powder burning at over 4,000 degrees. FORGET ABOUT IT.
Some of the posts here give the impression that unless cases are dipped in this or washed in that there will be great balls of grease rolling up and down the barrel.
SILLINESS. All ya gotta do is DON'T OVER GREASE THE CASES IN THE FIRST PLACE! Then wipe your loaded rounds clean with a dry towel when they are loaded. As I do this I also swipe a finger across the primer to check and make sure all primers are seated properly and I don't have a high one somehow. If you do, pull that bullet, pour out the powder and reseat the primer properly. DON'T mess with a loaded round. It isn't just a primer then but a bomb if it goes off in your reloading press.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote