New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for ideas on .357 accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im shooting a revolver match that has steel sillouets at 25,50,75 and 100 yards. I am using a S&W .357 4" barrel. I did okay last time, but I know my off had shooting needs some practice. I am also sure that I can create some more accurate loads. Ive read that hollow base wad cutters are some of the best bullets for accuracy. I am considering trying them, but I am worried about their effectivness at 100yards on steel targets. The gun has a good rear adjustable sight. Any thoughts? Recomendations? Thank you!

Posts: 97 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 06 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brentp, I have been reloading a lot of .357Mag in my Marlin Rifle. To find a beter velocity, you will have to try something like IMR4227. Flakes is sometime a problem with this slow burning powder. I have reduced the max load with 1.0 grain and added decron. The load shrunk to 0.5" at 100 meters. The velocity in my Marlin is 1685fps with a 158gr JHP. With the 4" barrel you would get less velocity, but still I think it would be worth trying.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
W296 is a good powder for the 357mag. When I shot IHMSA I shot cast bullets in my revolver. They were as accurate as any commercially available bullet and a friend owned a tire store so I got wheel weights for nothing.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience the HBWCs were not very accurate past about 70 yds or so. IIWY I'd try a heavy bullet such as the Keith 173-gr SWC.

AND, most importantly, I would fire-lap the barrel's leade.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have to knock them down or just hit them? The sight radius of a 4" gun is a serious impediment of course. To develop accuracy loads I would put a scope or red dot on it. Then shoot open sights with full confidence.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way back I used to shoot NRA Hunter Pistol, targets to 100y(m?). Anyway shooters found out very quickly that the .22 WMR would tip them over most of the time, lots of horsepower wasn't needed. Think I would find a good 140-160 gr. cast SWC and work up the most accurate 100y load I could in the 900-1100 fps range.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Not much past 50yds. The HBWC isn't very aerodynamic. You will be better off w/ a SWC or TCFP for 100yd shooting. Higher vel makes hits @ 100yds easier to make, but knowing where the bullet hits at all ranges is mroe important. I can get decent hits @ 100yds w/ a 45acp @ 850fps, so it's always the gun & shooter.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote