Find
Notify
Tools

federal (premium) brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of silverback
posted
Why is it that you don't see a lot of reloading data using federal cases? Is it not as good as other brands? The reason I ask is that I recently began reloading after years of saving federal premium 30-06 and 25-06 cases. Thanks for any advice.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Primarily because Federal brass isn't available across the caliber range. I find Federal brass a bit soft for my use. I no longer buy it.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted Hide Post
I found that Federal brass had an oversized primer pocket. If I reloaded a few I would get about 20% where the primer would feel very loose. I would also get a few where the primer would fall out completely. Of the ones that were successful, some would result in misfires.
I find; Lapua, Norma, Winchester then Remington the best brass.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression Federal had stopped making brass available for the reloader?? Naturally, you can reload Federal brass from spent factory ammo.

I once bought Federal .223 Gold Match brass and hoarded it for a special occasion... When that occasion came, I found the brass to have oversize primer pockets. Given that I was in Europe, it was not just a question of returning the brass with an angry letter expecting a replacement. Since then I have stayed away from Federal, I can't afford the same mistake twice.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have also experienced problems with oversized primer pockets in FC’s after only 2 to 3 resizes. I have also noticed that the cases need to be trimmed almost every time it is sized. However, the uniformity of the brass is excellent and I always use them for my “special rounds†to perform at the local range.

Posts: 14 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just fired off some federal premium factory ammo in.270 win with the 150 grain partitions,to see it my rifle liked them or not.

I figured I would reload the cases so I started to work on them. Seems like softer brass. Even worse I found flash holes of varying sizes, some off centre and one that was almost square in shape.

No wonder the ammo wouldn't group less than 2" at 100 yards. The brass was garbage.

Posts: 119 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 25 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SA Reloader:
I have also experienced problems with oversized primer pockets in FC’s after only 2 to 3 resizes. I have also noticed that the cases need to be trimmed almost every time it is sized. However, the uniformity of the brass is excellent and I always use them for my “special rounds†to perform at the local range.

This is what I mean by "soft" brass. Primer pockets loosen & the cases stretch quite a bit even after one firing. I don't buy it anymore. Lapua, RWS, Norma & WW pretty much in that order. I have some Nosler I haven't tried yet, I'm hoping though. dancing

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
It is a generally accepted "internet fact" that Federal Brass is soft, and does not give the same number of reloads as other manufacturers. Regardless of the validity of this statement, you own the brass, it has been fired in your guns "I assume," so it is the most cost effective material for you to use. It is of good quality and consistancy normally, and should yield great accuracy. How fast it wears out is more based upon your loading practices and the sheer intensity of those loads.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been buying federal primed brass from Natchez at really great prices. (LIke about $17/50)in 300 win mag earlier this spring. Unfortunately they are out of most calibers now....I wonder if they have a military contract to fill.
It's been holding up pretty well. 5-6 full power shootings hasn't been a problem.
One of the gun rags recently tested brass for case separation and the federal went pretty much as far as win or rem.
Today I got an AMAZING .9" 5 shot group (AT 300 YDS!) out of my new Tikka 300 with once fired lee collet sized federal cases. (Using the old standby load of 75.0 RE22 and nos bt's). Darn near peed my pants over that one.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
kraky, well done on that group... must have pulled one to open it up though. Wink

IMR 7828 and 180 BT's have always been our go to load, fast and furious we call it.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I have tried to use Fed. .223 brass. The primer pockets were not quite right, and after fighting it for a while I just bought some Rem brass.

The ones that had good primer pockets worked well, but just wasn't worth the hassle.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the manufactures of Brass Primers Projectiles have military contracts . Most are hard pressed to make quotas at the moment . This is why there have been shortages of components for military calibers .
I find Lapua Norma RWS Hornady Nosler all make very good quality brass . Remington in my opinion is superior to Winchester brass . MO.

L C military brass works very well , it's volume is slightly less than that of commercial brass . It's softer but thicker as well as being heavier in most cases .
I've had no problems with Federal as I to took advantage and bought several hundred rounds
from Natchez in various calibers . Several reloads on .223 so far so good !?.

I've experienced problems with winchester in regards to case separation and neck splits after only a few reloads . I don't generally load heavy .More middle of the road velocity for lowest pressure accuracy . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I bought 100 Nolser cases for .223 Rem. One of them was marked Federal. My guess is that Federal manufactures some of the brass for Nosler.