New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 WSSM Loads
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
I will reload for a friend is 25 WSSM, I will use what I have on hand in that case W760 and 117gr SST. What I find odd is that in every data I have or seen on Internet for the WIN-760 the maximum load is 44.7 grs. and in my Hornady reloading app. their maximum is 49.1 grs. exactly for the same bullets. This is way over others maximum and could be dangerous. I can't make much experience as it is very difficult to get primers and powders. Is anyone had experience with that load. I sent email to Hornady but so far no reply.

Posts: 7 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 25 WSSM extensively for years. I will give some of my loads and you should start lower and work up. 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip 47 grains W-760 3192 fps. 115 grain Barnes TSX 46 grains RL-17 3090 fps. 115 grain Nosler Partition 46 grains RL-17 3108 fps. All loads with Fed 210 M primers. All loads super accurate with my Browninf X-Bolt rifle. Hope this helps.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been reloading long ?

Posts: 793 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you phurley5
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I have shot the 25 WSSM extensively for years. I will give some of my loads and you should start lower and work up. 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip 47 grains W-760 3192 fps. 115 grain Barnes TSX 46 grains RL-17 3090 fps. 115 grain Nosler Partition 46 grains RL-17 3108 fps. All loads with Fed 210 M primers. All loads super accurate with my Browninf X-Bolt rifle. Hope this helps.

Posts: 7 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum. I think any reloading manual will say to start low and work up charges. If you want to reduce the amount of experimentation you can try fewer increments.

What is the goal for the ammo? 1000 rounds for plinking? 5 rounds for hunting?

The WSSM brass I've worked with had pretty thick necks with a taper that harden quickly in factory chambers and reloading dies. Annealing helps a lot, as does turning necks. At a minimum I'd suggest a cylindrical expander of suitable dimension and a decent chamfer on the neck to ease bullet seating.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Rarely do reloading manuals agree with each other. Different testing barrels, actions, conditions the list goes on. No gun is exactly the same either. What maybe max in mine gives you zero pressure signs. Start low and work up.

Posts: 764 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote