Find
Notify
Tools

358 dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Where can I get a set of small base 358 w dies for my BLR?? Anyone??

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you really need a small base die for your rifle? My BLR handles brass sized with standard RCBS dies as does my Savage 99. I haven't seen the need for small base dies for either rifle.
have you even tried the standard die yet?
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try shaving a couple thousandths off your shell holder....re adjust FL die...

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try shaving a couple thousandths off your shell holder....re adjust FL die...

IF you actually need a SB die, get one. I really doubt you will have any serious problem with the diameter of a properly made standard die set.

If you actually need a shorter die to set the shoulder back a little more, grind a tad off the bottom of the die, not the shell holder. I always prefer to attack the problem, not the other things that stand next to it! Smiler

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have the headspace checked. A few years ago a friend of mine had the same problem with a BLR. Had it checked, and it would not close on the go gage.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .358 BLR needs a small base sizer too but I haven't coughed the cash for one yet.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
Where can I get a set of small base 358 w dies for my BLR?? Anyone??

I use standard Forster .358 dies for ammo for my .358 BLR.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can shorten the die .02 to .03 and have a small base die set. Lots cheaper and just as good.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickt300:
You can shorten the die .02 to .03 and have a small base die set. Lots cheaper and just as good.

You will get excessive headspace when you need a small base die.
My BLR drags when closeing the lever because the case is too fat not because of headspace.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Elath, will the action close on a fired but unsized case? If not you are loading way too hot. Or there is something wrong with your rifle. Back your size die off the ram enough so there is a small gap betwwen the shoulder and where you can see the die has sized the neck of the case. This gap can be as much as 1/8th of an inch. This will keep the brass from moving the shoulder forward as the body of the case isn't reduced in diameter as much. I have seen many rifles that would easily close with neck sized only cases but when the die was adjusted to full length size the shoulder was not held in place and the portion in front of the web is squeezed back to size. Your size die could have excessive head space. I have never seen a small base die set do any good unless the rifle was a Semi-auto.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

posted Hide Post
I used an old 30.06 die and took several thousands off the bottom and dilled out the neck of a die i got for $5.00 Works real well. My problem is the necks on resized 308 brass is the base of the neck get slightly over spec from the expander is pulled out. Those really jam up a BLR.

Posts: 5 | Location: Port Huron, Mi | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something is wrong somewhere if your rifle won't chambered brass fired in it. If it will chamber fired brass then something is wrong in the way you are sizing that brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elath, will the action close on a fired but unsized case? If not you are loading way too hot. Or there is something wrong with your rifle. Back your size die off the ram enough so there is a small gap betwwen the shoulder and where you can see the die has sized the neck of the case. This gap can be as much as 1/8th of an inch. This will keep the brass from moving the shoulder forward as the body of the case isn't reduced in diameter as much. I have seen many rifles that would easily close with neck sized only cases but when the die was adjusted to full length size the shoulder was not held in place and the portion in front of the web is squeezed back to size. Your size die could have excessive head space. I have never seen a small base die set do any good unless the rifle was a Semi-auto.

My loads are barely warm enough to expand the necks enough to seal the chamber. The primers are not much flatter than 30-30 pressures.
Like I said in my rifle the body drags. The chamber seems to be very small in diameter.
My dies are RCBS and when ran down hard against the shell holder the rounds chamber but are dragging the last 1/8". Nothing wrong with the the rifle or the ammo. The rifle has about 50 round through it. I bought it new. The ammo checks ok with a gauge. Loads using new brass chamber fine. Once fired cases drag a little after bing sized and reloaded.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elath, will the action close on a fired but unsized case? ...
Hey Elath, That was a good question by Rick.

Also, try closing the bolt on a non-loaded, Resized Case and tell us if it drags. If it doesn't drag, then there is a problem in your "Seating" process.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He asked for a Small BASE die, as headspace is really not the problem.

Hornady dies are usually a bit tight, so if RCBS doesn't make one, then try Hornady.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the 358, but my BLR in 308 does the same thing. None of my other 308 rifles do. I found my chamber to be a little oversized. Fresh brass, fine, newly manufactured rounds, fine, once fired, drags going both in and out whether resized or not and it is right at the case head/body junction. I too was using mild loads (39G IMR3031 180 rem). It is 1.5grains below max.

Since it shoots 1" groups I chose to live with it rather than buy the small base dies.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I just checked my headspace and it is tight but good. The issue I have with mine is that it will chamber unfired brass but after firing and then resizing with RCBS dies I cant close the action all the way.

Im guessing that nobody knows where to get a set of small based dies??

Maybe Ill give the Hornadys a try.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im guessing that nobody knows where to get a set of small based dies??

Redding Reloading
1089 Starr Road, Cortland, NY 13045 • Phone (607) 753-3331 • FAX (607) 756-8445

Lee Precision
4275 HIGHWAY U
HARTFORD WISCONSIN 53027
262-673-3075 Voice
262-673-9273 FAX

Callem up tellem what u want.
Give em an offer they can't refuse...
Vg

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhunter, you say you are using RCBS dies? are you using an RCBS press and shellholder? All shellholders are not created equal. Some hold the case deeper than others. If your rifle will chamber fired cases and not recsized cases then your problem is with the die being reamed too deeply or a too tall shellholder. It's funny how hard it is to explain what happens when a case is resized. Your case expands down near the base, this includes some stretching of brass outward. When your die squeezes this expanded part of the case down this stretched brass is pushed forward and this moves the cases shoulder forward. If you have a tightly headspaced rifle and the die's shoulder can't be set to hold the shoulder of the case in place then it may end up being too far forward for the action to close. You could try turning your die out a full turn, this way it won't squeeze the brass down as much thus reducing the forward travel of the cases shoulder. I have a RCBS Press but sometimes use LEE shellholders which can be taller than RCBS shellholders, meaning I can't set my size die as deep in the press as I could using RCBS shellholder. My 270 die (RCBS) is this way but I have plenty of neck length and backing the die out fixes the problem. In fact I can neck size only with a full length die. A 358 case may not allow this but cases may chamber easily partially full length sized, try it.