New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 S&W Redding Die
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently read an article on a new Redding die that is used to resize fired 40 S&W cases. The die is designed so that the case is pushed all the way through the die so that the case head is sized as well as the case walls. According to the article, this technique will eliminate weak areas near the case head which can result in blowouts.

Have any of you used this die yet?

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is some pistols produce cases that are swollen below the area a normal sizer die can reach. Perhaps the pistols are cycling before pressure has dropped or the brass is expanding into the extractor grove or throat of the chamber. This use to be common on 38 supper brass that was hot rodded to the max to make major. The brass couldn’t be sized enough to feed reliably. There were several tools out there to size the head of the case back to speck. I don’t think the new Redding die will eliminate weak areas, it will size the brass back to speck so it will feed and chamber. The answer in 38 supper was the introduction of +P brass that was stronger in the case head.
If it is made by Redding it will work.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it came about w/ all the Glock fired "guppy" brass out there. It should work like the Lee push through bullet sizer & can be used for 10mm & 357sig as well.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your gun (barrel, actually) supports the brass completely, then it won't produce brass that needs the remedy that this die affords.

One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
If your gun (barrel, actually) supports the brass completely, then it won't produce brass that needs the remedy that this die affords.

But when you buy or scavenge range brass your chance of getting Glock fired brass (with the bulge) is rather high....and the Glock bulge is what this die is marketed for.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So... For reloading for my Glock. Should I buy an aftermarket barrel which supports the brass better or should I buy the Redding die?

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jtinidaho:
So... For reloading for my Glock. Should I buy an aftermarket barrel which supports the brass better or should I buy the Redding die?

Borrowed from an adjacent post:
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
The only thing I would add is that Lost Sheep's caution about the unsupported chamber in the Glocks only pertains to the first generation guns. My third gen Glocks are just as supported as my CZ and my BIL's XD. Glock fixed the issue about 10 years ago.

Larry