Find
Notify
Tools

Need a (paid for) favor; 6.5-06 AI cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear Wildcatters:
I posted on the Gunsmithing forum, questioning whether a 6.5-06 AI cartridge will feed reliably through a stock Savage Model 111 30-06 without diddling the feedlips, magazine follower or action rails. An experienced poster hazzarded that it might be iffy; it may work as is, or might need tedious metalwork.
Since I have some lead-time before I commit to ordering the dies and barrel, I had a thought. If any of my fellow AR'ers had, say, two used, fireformed 6.5-06 AI 40-degree shoulder cases they could part with, I could seat an appropriate bullet and try cycling them through the rifle. If they work, OK. If they jam, pop up, or try to feed through the side of the action, I'd go with ordering NON-Ackley dies and barrel and live with the lower-velocity, increased cast-stretch, and whatever-the-heck-else sequelae involved with eschewing the "AI" advantage to choose feeding reliability.
If you have a couple to spare, I would be more than happy to pay for same, and handling and shipping. Please either post here in response, or by PM.
Yours in smaller groups (way out there)
Rosse

Posts: 48 | Location: SE PA, USA | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've often heard of feeding problems with the AI's, but have never experienced it with my stock M700 action in 338-06 AI.

While there are some advantages to be had with the AI's, they don't really pan out to be all that much over the standard counterparts. Overall you will only see a modest velocity gain of 75 to 100 fps, if that. Case life doesn't really translate into much either. In fact for those loading the AI's hot because they believe they should be getting 150 fps more out of the small powder space increase, tend to lose more cases to the higher associated pressures.

Still, there is something about having an AI.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curtiss P40B:
Dear Wildcatters:
I posted on the Gunsmithing forum, questioning whether a 6.5-06 AI cartridge will feed reliably through a stock Savage Model 111 30-06 without diddling the feedlips, magazine follower or action rails. An experienced poster hazzarded that it might be iffy; it may work as is, or might need tedious metalwork.
Since I have some lead-time before I commit to ordering the dies and barrel, I had a thought. If any of my fellow AR'ers had, say, two used, fireformed 6.5-06 AI 40-degree shoulder cases they could part with, I could seat an appropriate bullet and try cycling them through the rifle. If they work, OK. If they jam, pop up, or try to feed through the side of the action, I'd go with ordering NON-Ackley dies and barrel and live with the lower-velocity, increased cast-stretch, and whatever-the-heck-else sequelae involved with eschewing the "AI" advantage to choose feeding reliability.
If you have a couple to spare, I would be more than happy to pay for same, and handling and shipping. Please either post here in response, or by PM.
Yours in smaller groups (way out there)
Rosse

I have a 280 AI on a Rem 700 action. No feeding problems to speak of.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have model 700 rem 27 inch hart barrel no feeding problems. 62.0 rl 25 140 bullets 3200 feet dont know if it is better than a6.506 neck up 25.06 cases easiest way make cases to fireform shoot em straight

Posts: 2 | Location: Crossroads, WV | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CurtissP40b,

I have 2 AI guns both are on 700Rem. actions one is a 250imp. and the other is a 25-06imp. I have not encountered any feeding problems with them. One thing that I have found out is that the AI round does not seem to need trimmed nearly as often as the parent cartridge in fact I have 2 more at the gunsmith's shop being built one a 17AI and the other a 280AI. If you haven't found any brass yet let me know I'll be glad to mail you a couple of 25imp. cases if you like
you can reach me at czechtech@centurytel.net

Posts: 97 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:
Thanks for your input.
Czechtech, please check your email.
Rosse

Posts: 48 | Location: SE PA, USA | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curtis,

If you want a couple of cases, sent your snail mail addy to kshort@academicplanet.com, I will be happy to send you a couple of cases like ya want.

I shoot a 6.5-06AI built on a Mod70 action and I did not have to do anything to mine, can load 4 in mag and one up the tube, they are a little tight, but feed just fine.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't get hold of pecos, let me know and I'll send you a couple with the bullets seated the way you want them.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:
Thank you for your responses; Czechtech is already (and graciously) winging a couple of these to me as we discourse.
Which leads me to ask- are there any other "Hobbies", "Advocations" or "Pastimes" out there which would lend itself to such selfless generosity? I think not. I believe we owe ourselves a collective pat on the back for this "You need? We got, incoming!" standard of behavior.
I am proud of us, collectively.
Rosse