New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Reloading weirdness...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I agree with you completely, we worry about all those little details that the ordinary hunter could care less about. The good thing in my case is that my hunting chums will bring their rifles to me to see if I can adjust or set in their scopes and come up with a load that will shoot best. When they do this I get to play with a new rifle, perhaps a new chambering, new loads etc. I will gladly do this if they will leave me alone until I have the task accomplished, or not. You would be amused with some of the setups I have seen. ----- When I play with my own rifles it may take me months to arrive at that load-bullet-powder combo that suits me. This is a labor of love for me and I do it at least three days a week at my private range. Happiness if loading the night before, shooting the new load with cronograph, charting the results, placing the load in perspective with others, arriving at the final load just in time for that Elk hunt or whatever hunting trip the year brings. ----- Another thing about us reloading weirdos is we can transport outselfs into the field for that perfect hunt each and every time we set down to the reloading bench to start a project. Keep up this weird passtime, maybe someone following us will carry on with our passion. Good reloading.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Imagine being a reloading tool manufacturer and having the chamber drawings as well. Not only are there wide tolerances but the cases must be on the minus side and neither drawings are necessarily met by manufacturing either!

I go thru a lot of steps in handloading ammo. It takes me so long that I can only make about 10-20 rounds a day. Some of the time is spent on that particular gun as well.

When I have a gun that's shooting really well I might bring it to the range and only fire one or two shots from it. I wonder what the guys do who buy perfect custom guns? They must be out hunting or cutting the grass?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Reloading is a hobby and as such it is different to the individuals participating as their personalities. It's different for everyone. Being a hobby you get out of it what you put into to it.

Is much of what we do necessary to fire one shot to harvest one deer? No! But do we derive pleasure and satisfaction from making a Wally World rifle shoot better than it did when it came off the shelf? Yep.

Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. I'm one of the super anal types. I know full well what I do isn't essential. After all I reloaded and filled my freezer for years before I realized I could improve accuracy, even though I was quite successful with just slapping any old primer in a case, seating the bullets that were the cheapest (that was the criteria in those days!) and if it hit the black on a 200 yard target set at 100 yards, I went hunting. I don't even recall checking trim length!

Now I derive more pleasure out of knowing each cartridge is as perfect as I can make it. Does it truly make a difference? I don't know, but I think it might. Does it give me pleasure and satisfaction? Definitely, and that is what a hobby is supposed to do and that's why I do it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Laugh Out Loud

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Personally, I have found that all the work required to "true-up" cases or ammo beyond +/- 0.005" is a law of diminishing return and a practice in self-abuse.

True, however, in the quest for the optimum accuracy neck turning, primer pocet and flash hole uniforming, checking bullet runout, etc. can be beneficial, if not mechanically, mentally. I think the biggest dividend is in the state of mind of the shooter, especially in hunting rifles.

Is this extra attention necessary in a hunting rifle? Absolutely not! Does it add points to the competitor's aggregate score? Probably. Does it shrink group sizes when fired in a bench rest rifle? Yes.

As we would all agree, moa accuracy is not necessary to successful hunting. Complete confidence that the ammo you are shooting is absolutely perfect leaves just one more thing that the shooter does not have to concern him/herself with as the trigger is squeezed.

Will I take the time to uniform my hunting cases as I do my competition ammo? I'll confess , just color me weird. It is more of a mental game with me than a necessity. Having said that, can guarantee a few extra points in the 600 yard and beyond prone stages in a well tuned target rifle using uniformed brass.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 918 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but their bar-bill is a lot higher than mine..... cause I never have time.... LOL, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perfection is the enemy of good enough. The dividend of the perfect state of mind is negative - what you have to shell out for therapy!
By the way what does LOL mean?