Find
Notify
Tools

European powders?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I have been told that some of the powders sold under US manufacturers names are in fact made in Europe. For example, I have been told that some Reloader powders are Norma MRP under a different name. I have also been told that some Vectan powders (French made) are also sold under US marketing labels. Given the nature of multi-national corporations this doesn't surprise me but can anyone tell me which powders sold in the USA are actually manufactured in Europe?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the Alliant Reloader line is made in Europe by Nobel, as is the Norma line (and they are mostly identical). Several Accurate powders are made in the Czech Republic, and some are made in Israel. Most, if not all, of the Hodgdon line of newly manufactured powders are from ADI of Australia. Several Hodgdon powders (4895 for one) used to be manufactured in Scotland as was the now-obsolete line of Herters powders. IMR powders, at least some of them, are made in Canada.

Other than the St. Marks, Florida facility (formerly Olin) which makes the WW line of powders, the Hodgdon Spherical powders, and most of the WC- military powders, I'm not aware of another powder plant operating in the U.S. (Except perhaps some of the black powder and black powder substitute powders which may be made in the U.S.)

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several cans of Alliant RL powders that say made in Sweden and one can of the discontinued RL-12 that says made in USA. Also, a can of Winchester WXR that says made in Sweden. The WXR seems to be closer to RL-22 than the can of MRP I have. The MRP, that I have, is a little faster, maybe closer to some lots of RL-19. I have a jug of MagPro that says made in the Republic of SA. South Africa? BM

Bill

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Blue Moon and Stonecreek, This is interesting, especially when one lives in a country (France) where supposedly foreign (read non-European) powders are not supposed to be available. It's even curiouser when you find out that you can buy VihtaVuori here in France, in addition to the Vectan line offered by Nobel Sport, but not Norma or any other, Czech or elsewhere. It would be very interesting to know exactly which powders are identical with only a name/brand change as it would allow those of us here access to a multitude of reloading data derived and compiled in the USA but not applicable here as the pôwder in theory doesn't exist. I suppose for both liability and marketing reasons the manufacturers don't want to publicize this kind of information but it does a disservice to the reloading community IMO.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
The RamShot line of ball powders sold in the US is from Belgium, if I recall.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote