New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using a 30/30 Lee collet die
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can only get it to size about 1/8" of the neck.I followed the directions of screwing the die around two times after hitting the shell holder?Is there some other way to adjust the die??Thanks,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
No real way to adjust. Two turns on the shell holder is to keep from caming over on the press which they say will damage the die.
I would take the die apart and check for burs and chips in the collet. the sizing part of the collet is tapered, the land inside the collet should be about .275" long. The end is tapered as the collet moves up it only closes so much on the neck of the case check and make sure the collet taper and the mating parts are free of any ridges and is pretty smooth You will probably only get about .015 to .002" of bullet grip. all my cases are about .001" of tapper on the neck.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After checking out the die's internals to make sure everything is properly assembled and functioning the way it was designed, if the die still only sizes a small section of the forward portion of the neck then you have two choices.

The first would be to return the die to Lee, who would probably send you a new one which performs as it should.

The second option would be to simply grind as much off of the bottom of the sizing collet (the part that bears against the shell holder) as you wish in order for the sizing petals to reach further down on the case neck. Just don't remove enough of its length to allow the petals to bear against the shoulder of the case.

I have used this method to effectively convert a .222 Collet die to size .221 Fireball; and a .204 Ruger Collet die to size .20 Tactical. Conversely, I routinely size .222 Magnum brass with a .223 Collet die by simply placing a washer over the case and on top of the shell holder. This has the effect of limiting the reach down the neck so that the .223 die does not engage the .222 Magnum's shoulder. I neck size .300 Winchester, .300 H&H, and .300 Weatherby all with the same Collet die using the same method.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1/8th of an inch is probably enough I would think, especially in a 30-30. it just needs to snug the bullet..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
OBLIKER

Ray is right.
Your collet is normal if it only sizes the end of the case mouth.

Is your rifle a bolt action?
Just checking, lots of lever guns out there in 30-30.
Neck sizing is NOT FOR USE IN LEVER ACTION OR SEMI-AUTO RIFLES. Please don't be offended if you are aware of this.

As for Lee collet dies, I'm confident that the neck does guide the bullet enough for it to pass forward enough for the lands to take over. I'm sold on them. Just bought a set in .280 Remington.

My best 7X57 hunting loads (tied for best actually) were achieved using a Lee a collet die and fire-formed cases.

Before I discovered them, my reloading buddy and I tested a theory where we made up some fire-formed .270 cases that were only partially sized with full length dies. About a third of the neck was sized. Results were substantial.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote