New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 winchester short mag questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering what kind of powder nosler balistic tips have in them. My gun shoots three shots groups sub 1" at 100 yards but they are to expensive to buy. They are 150 grain nosler balistic tips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The short answer is that probably no one knows outside of the factory.

The longer answer is: Factories often blend powders. The powder or the blend may not be the same next year depending on who got the contract. The powder may not be available in canister form. If you pull one of the bullets and are really familiar with powders and there's no blend, you might guess what powder this lot was made with, or maybe not.

So, if you want a consistent load for your gun, spend the time to work up a handload and then all you have to worry about is bullet availability and lot to lot variations in the powder as you load more.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beretta96
posted Hide Post
I reload for my friend's Browning A-bolt in 270 WSM. We're using Federal match magnum primers, Winchester cases and using RL 25 powder. I don't remember right now the exact load, but it's from Alliant's website and we're not at max charge. His rifle is a 1/2 MOA shooter using the 150gr NBT's.

We didn't have much luck with Winchester or Hodgdon powders in his rifle.

Posts: 263 | Location: ontario, canada | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tap-21, I think LWD gave a great answer, the factories can be all over the place. Having said that, I often like the factory perormance of a particular round, and 'disect' a fair amount of factory ammo trying to figure what's in there. Which 150 grain BT ammo are your shooting? Is it Federal premium, Winchester supreme or what?

I have a pretty good duplicate load of the Winchester stuff, but on the Fed, just a good guess, but it sure shoots as good or better than the factory original in my friends rig.

Let us know a little more info, and I'll try and give some help.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF you don't handload or don't want to for this gun and have found something that works. Lay in a supply of that same lot. A couple of hundred rounds ought to keep a hunting rifle in business for a long time.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote