New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading TSX 115 in 25-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hey fellows I 'm going to load up some of these bullets in 25-06 and thought I would try Reloder 22. Any of you tried this combo or have a different powder selection for the 115gr bullet in a 25-06.
Thanks FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be forewarned that the 115 grain TSX is quite long and is difficult to stabilize in most 25-06 rifles. I tried them in my rifle, which has a 1 in 10 twist and they were not stabilized at all, gave awfull groups.

Barnes recommends a 1 in 9 twist or faster for these bullets.

Having said that, my favorite powder in the 25-06 when shooting 115 or 120 grain bullets is IMR 7828.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks R I do have some 7828 powder and a variety of other bullet weights I can try. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 100gr Barnes TS in my 26in barreled Ruger#1 @ 3,200fps. Why not shoot them in your 25/06. There a very tough bullet and should not come apart at 25/06 velocities. Killed some very larged bodied mule deer with this bullet and it worked very well. Would shoot an elk with it, if I had a clear heart/lung shot and it was the only rifle I owned.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have been using RL22 & Barnes 115gr XLC's for a few years with good results out of a standard twist .25-06. I can't say what a TSX would do.
I have used both Win & Rem brass, WLR primers, and just below max book (.2 less I think) with no pressure signs. It will group plenty good for hunting. Nate

P.S. I didn't have as good groups with 7828, and I have also tried Retumbo, H1000, IMR4350, H4350, H4831sc, and a discontinued H powder.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that IMR-7828 will be your brew for the 115s. You should find a sweet spot somewhere between 53 and 55 grains.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
My Sako loves the 115 TSX's in it. I have not had any stabilization issues with them. I don't have access to my load data right now but I know its been with R22 and Fed 215.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
50gr of reloder 22 turned out to be magical is this older Winchester rifle. Other loads with slightly more powder were also acceptable 50.5, 51.0 51.5. FS