New
Find
Notify
Tools

same reults - Hodgdon or Vitha Vuori?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting equal accuracy from 73 grains of both H4895 and VV N140 with a .375cal 210grain Barnes X bullet.

I am yet to run either load through the chronograph, which may play an imoprtant role in deciding, but excluding any differeneces in velocity, is there any reson to choose one of these powderes over the other?

This load is a "one off" and will be used in Canada with the possibility of very cold tempereatures.

Any reason one should perform better in te cold?

Thanks for any advice I can get.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
H4895 is a extreem powder and I believe VV powders are advertised as temp tolerant also. I don`t know what the price difference is where you`re at but, if they both show the same accuracy and vel is comparitible I would go with the cheapest.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use VihtaVouri 550 and 560 high intensity powders in my 6.5x55 and 7mmRem. Mag. respectively, and am quite impressed with them. Not particularly impressive velocities, but the accuracy is exceptionally good. This powder is made in Finland, and it's a cold weather country to be sure. It works well for me in Canada also. Their Lapua bullets (affiliated with VihtaVouri)
are quite good on moose. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote