Find
Notify
Tools

Lubalox
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
Simple question I know nothing about lubalox coating on the new xp3 and others. Seems like alot of guys do not like it. Why? Keep it simple I'm not reloader just a shooter/hunter.

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted Hide Post
I can't believe no one has an opion????????????

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bc300winguy:
Strange indeed.

I've not tried any of the "Bullets" that have Lubalox on them, so I can't comment about them.

Have used a "wad"(pun on) of the Shotgun Shells and it did seem to help with the patterns years ago. That had to do with the lubricity of the Shot String as it squeezed through the Forcing Cones. Apparently allowed the Shot to "slide by each other" with less deformation, resulting in rounder shot, which means less opening of the pattern.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:

There's a lot of mis-information and passion about it. I am guessing that no one wanted to get an old pissing match started. The problem is that some people confuse Lubalox with Moly. It isn't the same, but that never seems to get in the way of a good discussion/argument!

Anyway, I have used the Winchester 140 grain BST factory load in my .280 for years. It shot well and killed everything I hit cleanly and quickly. The Lubalox did coat the bore and eventually I tried cleaning it out. It is a bitch to remove...and in retrospect there is probably no reason to do so.

It seems to allow a few more fps from the same load and maybe makes a basic cleaning easier...other than that (and I consider those minor improvements) it didn't seem worth the extra money. I keep using the Win BST load because they have a good track record with me. For a hunting only rifle the cost is negligable, but for the guns I reload for, I don't spend the extra $$$ on the coated bullets.

FWIW!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:
The Lubalox did coat the bore and eventually I tried cleaning it out. It is a bitch to remove...

This is my (irrational?) reason to stay away from Lubalox coated bullets. I have briefly used some Fail Safe in my .30-06, but I tumbled the bullets long enough to remove about 90% of the coating. In the end, I could not get the bullets to shoot in my barrel, and abandoned the idea of using Lubalox coated bullets all together.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...The problem is that some people confuse Lubalox with Moly. It isn't the same, ...
Hey CDH, I agree with you that they are totally different. Lubaloy was what I was actually refering to. Do you know if it is the same as Lubalox?

The old(REAL OLD) Lubaloy always felt like some kind of a plastic to me, but I don't know what it really was(is).

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its solves none of my current problems........

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Winchester Supreme Failsafes for years and now Accubonds out of my 300WM , and Accubonds out of 1 of my T3 270WSM. Never had a problem. Very accurate. My understanding is the Lubalox coating is suppose to reduce fouling and barrel pressure.

The new Winchester Supreme Elite "XP3" bullets have the same coating.

I will continue to use them in my T3 270WSM, and hopefully a guy can soon buy the coated Accubonds for reloading for my 300WM and my other T3 LS 270WSM that I reload for.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I happen to love the coated lubalox bullets. I really wish Nosler/Win would let the coated accubonds loose. I've found I don't need to clean near as often.

As to what it is, Nosler/Win are very tightlipped about it, I have been told it is a spray on coating, and it has no moly in it. I load a lot of different calibers with the coated NBT's and have just great results. If I could coat bullets with Lubalox myself somehow I would.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does Lubalox do? Does it have the same function as the "blue-coated" Barnes bullets?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
...The problem is that some people confuse Lubalox with Moly. It isn't the same, ...
Hey CDH, I agree with you that they are totally different. Lubaloy was what I was actually refering to. Do you know if it is the same as Lubalox?

The old(REAL OLD) Lubaloy always felt like some kind of a plastic to me, but I don't know what it really was(is).

Hi, Hot Core -

If you are referring to the old Lubaloy bullets as sold in loaded Western and Winchester ammunition from the 30's through at least the 60's.....that "Lubaloy" was a proprietary jacket-metal alloy, composed of copper, zinc, and a little bit of tin, if I remember correctly. Lubalox is supposedly a coating of some sort, applied to conventional gilding metal jackets.

Those Lubaloy bullets were also sold for a few years to handloaders, primarily in the 60's & 70's.

Incidentally, Hornady gas checks are still made of the old original Lubaloy, supplied in large flat sheets by Olin, which is now spun off as a separate company from Winchester.

(I know about that spin-off as I bought a bunch of Olin stock when it was first spun off, and have made a bundle on it. It doubled in price, then split 2-for-1 and then about doubled in price again.) War can be an attractive short-term investment for U.S. investors if it isn't their kids who have to go.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey AC, I was refering to the "Coated Shot" in Shotgun Shells. For some reason, I have it in my mind the Coating was Black, but that could be all wrong. Been too long ago.

That is some interesting info about the Bullet Jackets and Gas Checks. Amazing the knowledge on this Board.

Congratulations on the Olin Stock. Always good to hear about someone "getting it right".

Did your buddy ever come on board AR?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hi again, Hot Core - Yes, the stuff I learn here is amazing.

As to my friend from the NRA, I don't know if he ever joined AR or not. He said he was going to, but if he has, I've seen nothing I recognize as his writing. Of course, he may have done so and just be lurking.....

BTW, he just sent me an nteresting article on DG rifle problems, which I posted a link to today in the Big Bore part of this forum.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote