New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy and Mad, Simultaneously
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've put 1000 rounds down the barrel of the Creedmoor with RL-17. This powder showed the best velocity and accuracy during intial testing. Since, I've found a pretty good downrange load; if I miss a target, it's windage Left or Right. I have been having heck trying to get the load (or any load with the RL17) to group tight. One day it's .5 MOA then the next, 1 MOA. Quite aggravating to say the least. I've been shooting a precision rifle match and a lot of the scoring is done at 100 yards-you need to have a gun/load combo that shoots consistently tight at 100.

I went out yesterday to try to do some more seating depth tuning with the RL-17 load. I had tuned it pretty well. I shot more of those loads and they were all over the place. The other depths were as well. So, I gave up and abandoned the powder. My buddies loads with H-4350 shot really well in my rifle but I don't have any. I have 24# of W-760 and had shot a ladder with it in the beginning.

This is a lesson! Always keep your targets and good records!

I went back and picked a couple of consecutive shots that the POI was close and loaded 8 of the first and 5 of the next, both with W-760

Both loads shot big ragged holes, 1/2" groups.

I was Happy and Mad at the same time. Happy that I found a good load and Mad because I was stupid enough to shoot 1000 down the tube with the RL before changing; all that wear.

I was pretty excited; loaded 30 and went out this AM for some testing. I shot some at 100 to get a "0" and then tested at 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 yards.

All of the groups were at or less than 1/2 MOA. The 600 yard group was unreal at 1/4 MOA (1.4")

I hope it stays good. I'm losing sleep over this crap.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
WOW that is some shooting. I share you sentiments and frustrations having been through a similar experience with my varmint rig. Glad you got it dialed in.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
It's a fine frustrating, aggravating, hair pulling, dirt kicking, wife yelling at, random item tossing sport we engage in that we all swear beats anything else in life! killpc

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting R. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks HC and WhatThe.

I'm obsessed. It feels good when you finally get there.

I love this crap! It's driving me to drink thoughSmiler

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:

That's a problem how? Big Grin

Great shootin'! tu2

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's driving me to drink thoughSmiler
Sounds like you are trying to use a "Thingy". Find the nearest Trash can, toss the Thingy in, and you will improve. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
yuck

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's what the load did at 100 yards the day I decided to try 760.........

Group on the bottom is at 42.8gr. Shot to the left is the first, then a sight adjustment, then 7 in that big hole.

Group on the top is at 43gr. 5 shots in .4"

Here's the machine:

The drink is Maker's Mark!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The drink is Maker's Mark!
That is some right fine Whisky(note no "e"). Mr Samuels emphasizes that is the proper spelling because that was the way they spelled it on their bottles 4-generations ago. tu2

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

beerI hope it's a short journey. spaceroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have validated my findings with W-760. Not long ago I was looking for a load for the 85gr Varmint in 6.5 for my .260 rem. After looking at the powders, I randomly picked w-760 because it gave the best velocities at the lowest pressures (HODGDON's Loading Center on Line). I was absolutely shocked at how well this powder performed. I settled for 47.0 gr in a REM Case with a FED LR primer. Even did a little better with the FED BR primer, but, I'm not sure I need it. This is now my "go to" CDOG round.
Great shooting. That Creedmore sure is a good round. Your rifle is beautiful. Thanks for your post on the "lesson of change".
rc