Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

interested in handloading
 Login/Join

posted
I'm deployed to Iraq at the moment and am wanting information on handloading. I'm looking for suggestions on books, dvd's, etc that cover everything from equipment needed to the actual loading process (in easy to understand terms)that my wife can send me. I have a 300WSM that I'd like to load for. By the way, are 200gn bullets feesible for this cartridge? I live in Alaska and will be hunting primarily moose and caribou but would like to eventually go for bear. Thanks for any info you can offer.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I recomend Lyman's 48th handbook.

It covers all aspects of reloading in detail and it covers a broad spectrum of bullets and powders for each caliber. They are not "brand specific" like the Hornady, Speer or Hogdon books.

Stay safe and thanks for Serving. clap

BTW if reloading gets into your system, there is no cure. (not that, that's a bad thing)

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out www.stevespages.com/page8.htm. There's a wealth of information there.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Brian, Thank you for your service, and welcome to The Accurate Reloading Forums. The very best place to start is a reloading manual from one of the bullet manufacturers. The Lyman and the Sierra are perhaps the best for first books, but experience and trial and error will get you the rest of the way. There is much good information on the web, but cross check all references. I have been loading for a shade over 40 years, and still return to these manuals frequently. Good luck and good (sport shooting.)

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy this setup!I love mine and my ammo is fantastic!
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
bryan

I second Randy's vote for the Lyman 48th Reloading Handbook, It's a good book to have. I also like the Sierra #5 Rifle & Handgun Reloading Data book. Also check out the information from the NRA on handloading(you are a member of the NRA right?)they have some pretty good info. As far as equipment you will find a wide opinion on that also, me I like RCBS they have pretty good equipment and a very good warranty, the Lee stuff is pretty good and servicable, quality is OK but they main thing for beginners is that it is less expensive to get started and upgrade later to tools that suit your personal preferences. Read a lot and when you start reloading have an experienced reloader guide you for a while. Enjoy, after 30 years of reloading it's still fun.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The ABCs of Reloading is another good reference. you can find it here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=738288

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a place by the name of Boondocks in Alaska and the guys there told me they were have great success on moose with the Barnes 168gr TSX in the short mags. You will find that the 200 grain may be too long expecially with a slow powder due to lack of room. The way that the TSX is designed nothing is gained by a heavier bullet in the same caliber. A 30 cal hole pushed through the body will do the same damage whether it is 168 or 200. You will have lots of fun figuring it out when you get back.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll find buying/using a bullet makers books will prove to be good with their bullets only.
Sierra, Speer, Nosler, Hornady, etc.

Same with powder makers. Their powder only. But, they will promote thier equipment of course. They are all good. BUT: don't get just one book. Get no less than three to compare with. That way IF there's a mistake, typo etc you won't get into trouble over it. Compare every load you're considering. Never load to max and you'll be in good shape. Most middle of the tables loads you'll find are more accurate than max loads too. They won't be as hard on your guns either.

My motto is: You don't drive you car/truck full throttle all the time, why would you consider doing so with your fine guns??

Lyman, Lee, RCBS and a few others are reloading equipment makers. So they won't show too much preferrence for only one brand of powder or bullet. But, they will promote their brand of tools.

Thank you for doing your job in protecting the good old USA. I'm proud of you troops and appreciate everyone of you.

George
US Army/72

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote