Find
Notify
Tools

Comparison of the short fat 30 cals?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted
In Nosler #5 it looks like the SAUM is more efficient than the WSM. I wonder if the deltas could be attributed to variations in brass or maybe just a fast test barrel for the Remington round? Thoughts?
DJ

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ,

Don't know about short and fat but if you scan a fair a bit data across a few sources you will see the old 300 H&H does about the best for powder used.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "champ" (and original) is the Lazzeroni Patriot.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
And the 30/06AI beats the .300 SAUM with the 180 gr bullet. How is that for efficiency?

Rest your hearts ladies and gentlemen. There is nothing new under the sun. It's all marketing (the use of words to get you to buy something thru emotions instead of facts that you don't need in the first place).

<Sniper>
posted
DB Bill I agree..got one myself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don....assuming same barrel lengths and operating at similar pressures I think if you looked at 10 different 30/06AI and 10 different SAUMs the SAUMs would win out...I don't doubt the odd '06Imp
can be loaded to reach 3000fps but don't think you can depend on it.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many cartridges, if loaded to Lazzeroni pressures (too hot for many Lazzeroni rifles)will achieve the same velocities. 3000 is not easy to reach with the 06 Improved just as it is not easy with the 300WSM. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lazzeroni performance is based on performance equivalent to the same pressures run by Weatherby and the other big magnums with the added benefit of the McMillan action and stout brass...I have some brass that has been loaded more than 10 times (annealed twice) and the primer pockets are still tight.

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
What struck me about this is not how they compare to the time proven rounds we have but how they compare to each other. The SAUM appears to achieve the velocities of the WSM with less of the same powder and there are only minor variations between the case dimensions..........

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
The "Winchester" site still has the comparisons up that the .300 WSM is faster than the .300 Win Mag, the 7mm WSM faster than the 7mm Rem Mag and the .270 WSM faster than the .270 Weatherby.

I really don't think that will stand up now that more information is out.

Where is the efficiency?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a few 6mm/284s and 6mm/06s with both being mainly in 1 in 12 barrels and shooting bullets from the mid 60 grainers up to 85 grains.

Acuracy was slightly better with the 6mm/06 but that could have been due to only having to neck down from 25/06 as opposed to coming from 284 to 243. Could also have been die or reamer related. Should not have been barrel as one 6mm/284 was rechambered 6mm/06. Scope, action etc was the same since on a switch barrel gun.

The main difference I noticed was that the 6mm/284 required slower powder than the 6mm/06.

The 6mm/06 was faster with 70 and 75 grainers but I think that was probably due to the powders being a little more suited to the 6mm/06.

My general feeling on "caliber accuracy" is that when the calibers are of similar size then any accuracy differences will need a lot of rifles to be tested before it becomes evident.

If two bench guns were made, one in 222 and one in 22 PPC, you would not want to bet too much money on which was the most accurate.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote