New
Find
Notify
Tools

federal match primers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know what the difference is from MATCH primers and regular ?

I have used both with good results. I'm loading .308 hunting loads for a Model 7. I have Fed 210 and CCI Large rifle on hand. I have used those and Match in the past

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, match primers are supposed to be more consistent in their ignition. They are a little hotter than standard primers, but not like a mag. I have used the Federal 210s for years in the 308, 30-06 and 7x57. I love them.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cup is softer and they are made to tighter tolerances. The anvils seamingly are sealed differently based on what I can see. The main watchout is they are softer cupped and go off easier.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been testing primers and the federal match weigh VERY evenly and power is also fairly even. They are some of the strongest primers tested. Results are posted on www.castingstuff.com on the primer testing page.

Posts: 25 | Location: NW | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. I have felt I had better groups using them, but I didnt test this side by side. More of a feeling I have.

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I called Federal on this very issue a couple of years ago. Their answer was consistency and quality control. They are the exact same primer, but the Match version are scrutinized more closely for consistency. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto jorge.....

the gunsmith told me that the federal rep told him the same thing. They are checked more often for QC, and are sorted out by consistently being within a certain tolerance of height, weight, and width. But they are the same primers.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote