Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Comparators?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted
What are some good recommendations for bullet comparators? The Hornady individual ones, or something like the PT&G six ways?
Thanks,
Boom

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the stoney point ones which is now the hornady. If the quality is the same then I would suggest you get it. The thing I like about it is it retains itself to the caliper for eas of use and repeatable results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Stoney Point type. I find the headspace thimbles used with the same tool even more useful than the bullet comparator.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BoomRM:
What are some good recommendations for bullet comparators? ...
If you have a Tool Box with Sockets in it, you already have all the Comparitors you could ever need.

Just use the Largest Socket "that will not slip past the Ogive" and measure across it with the Bullet inserted. As a great side benefit, it is more stable to do the measuring with than any of the Hex Thingys. tu2

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate all the help I have received on this forum to get me going. I think I've just about acquired all of the "necessities" to start loading.

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the hex nut type of bullet comparitor. It is the cheapest way to go but too much flip-flop as it takes three hands to make it work. Go with the Hor/Stonypoint setup but get the Sinclair bullet and headspace comparitor inserts as they are improvments on the original Hor inserts. Sinclair calls their headspace inserts "Bump Gage Inserts" and work off the shoulder angle and not off a set diameter,0.300"-0.350"-0.400" and so on. I would also get the Hor Anvil Base, Sinclair #36-001.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I have Stoney and Sinclair Hex and a bunch I made out of various pieces and parts...including 1/4 drive sockets Big Grin. I found them ALL useful. Never had any trouble with the Hex style...just stood the bullet up in the hole and wiggled the bullet/hex slightly until it quit wiggling...same with the Stoney. Once the bullet was almost bottomed I let go with my tail. Big Grin

They are absolutely essential for my reloading/rechambering/rethroating as far as I'm concerned. Don't know why everyone doesn't have a set or two.

Luck