New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet puller for crimped reloads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got some old 22-250 reloads that won't chamber in my new rifle (they need to be bumped back a bit). Many of them have a crimped (Lee factory crimp) bullet. The bullets do have a crimp groove.

What's a good puller for fairly heavily crimped .224 bullets that won't completely mangle them?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I use a Inertia Bullet Puller from Lyman. I my only complaint is when the bullet falls out of the case the nose of the bullet more often then not will get squished or deformed from the force of hitting the bottom of the puller. I was thinking about collet style puller from RCBS or Hornady.
From what I read to get little to no damage to the bullet its self to use a collet style puller. Less noise too, I m sure my nabors will enjoy the collet puller. Up at 2300hrs midnight pulling a bullet on a screw up or miss-aligned bullet.(got to do something when you cant sleep)
Let me know how it works out for you.
Here are a few links that may help.
http://www.midwayusa.com/brows...String=9315***731***

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just seat them a little further down it should loosen the crimp so they will re-seat lower.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops I meant the shoulders need to be bumped back and then I'll work on my OAL since right now I can't close the bolt on the old stock.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use a Inertia Bullet Puller from Lyman. I my only complaint is when the bullet falls out of the case the nose of the bullet more often then not will get squished or deformed from the force of hitting the bottom of the puller.

Hey James, stuff a disposable foam ear plug in the bottom of your inertia bullet puller. It keeps your bullets from getting too beaten up.

A collet puller is a lot easier to use. I use a Forster and it doesn’t usually put any marks on the bullets.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, .22 bullets can be a real sod to pull with an inertia puller because they're so light, not much inertia. I'd recommend using a collet type pullet as put out by RCBS or Hornady, I've used both quite happily, Forster also do one that I'm aware of. They don't mangle bullets worth speaking of.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just get a body and shoulder bump die or a file trim die.
Most file trim dies are enlarged at the neck and will permit you to bump the shoulder back without unloading the ammo.
You might be able to do it with a .250 Savage FL die if you are careful.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A collet puller is better, and safer.
An inertia puller looks a lot like a pipe
bomb.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been doing some searching and found that most of the collet pullers are very similar in performance. I have an inertia puller but have some real reservations about using it.

I'm not sure if I want to mess with the shoulders while the rounds are live. I really want to keep the primers (them suckers are expensive now).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Hornady bullet puller and it works great. I have heard others rave about it, that is why I got it. It is simple, quick and safe.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
bomb.
Good Luck!

Yeah, and that is why so many people are killed while using them.....
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Sorry guys, but let's be reasonable. You have a better change of being struck by lightening while reloading than you do of being injured by an inertia puller. Unless you hit yourself with it.
Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
bomb.
Good Luck!

Sorry guys, but let's be reasonable. You have a better change of being struck by lightening while reloading than you do of being injured by an inertia puller. Unless you hit yourself with it.
Big Grin

LOL unless you use it upside down!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin

Jason

I’ve owned 2 inertia bullet puller in my life. I beat the first one to death but it took about 25 years. About the same time I bought my second one I also bought a collet puller (same one I mentioned earlier). I haven’t used the hammer since. Collet pullers just make pulling bullets so easy and silent too.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have never had a blow up with an
inertia puller, they have been reported.
The man intends to pull light, heavy
crimped bullets. He is going to have to
hammer the hell out of the set up.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I have never had a blow up with an
inertia puller, they have been reported.
The man intends to pull light, heavy
crimped bullets. He is going to have to
hammer the hell out of the set up.
Good luck!

Oh God Been There! Dosnt matter how hard you hit it, your going to be swinging for a good 5 min on each bullet.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I tried to hammer out one with my inertia puller last night. I tried it on a piece of wood like they recommend...broke a 2x4 into pieces...hammered like hell for easily 5 minutes and it barely moved and I hit my pinky on my basement floor (choice words were said)...Hornady bullet puller on it's way (this was the only one I could get that had 22 caliber collet that was not backordered)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really want to keep the primers (them suckers are expensive now).

I have run many a primed case through my sizing die by just removing the decapping pin. I use RCBS dies, which allow this. True, you have to lube each one individually with something like Hornady Case Lube (pure beeswax), but I usually never have to do but a few...

Here's a fast way to remove a bullet, but it will require a resize with the primer still in the pocket: Bend the bullet slightly to one side by putting it into a 1/4-inch hole in a piece of 3/4-inch plywood. Bend gently until the casemouth opens just a red hair and pull the bullet. Reserve the powder, lube and resize with decapping pin taken out of your die. Works great; done it millions of times...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
MThuntr
I sometimes use the back of my press where there is plenty of space, or on top of my anvil. If you have any bits of rail from a railroad would work great to. The wood absorbs too much of the shock. Hell even if you have a concrete floor would work. It would just chew up your puller.

homebrewer
I like your innervation but doesn't that cause extra and un-needed stress and work hardening of the case mouth and neck? If you anneal I don't see where the problem would be. So then your all set.

Just a few thoughts.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MThuntr
You will not be disappointed with the Hornady puller. I previously used the inertia/hammer type and plan to give it away or throw it out.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 28 August 2009 21:10 Hide Post
I use a Inertia Bullet Puller from Lyman. I my only complaint is when the bullet falls out of the case the nose of the bullet more often then not will get squished or deformed from the force of hitting the bottom of the puller

I stuff some steel wool down in the bottom and that problem quickly eliminated itself...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote