New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flash hole getting ragged. Why?
 Login/Join

<BC hunter>
posted
I was inspecting some recently fired cases, after de-capping, and I noticed that on several of the cases, the flash hole was kind of ragged looking. In other words it was not a nice smooth round hole. This is looking at it from the primer pocket end, not down the inside of the case. I havent had any pressure signs with these loads, and was wondering if this is common, and is it going to be a problem?
This is happening on a 30-06 cases. CCI 200 primers, 48grs IMR4064, Nosler 180BT
I have not found any manuals, that I have, that talk about this problem, or its causes. Any ideas?
{And no I did not use a flash hole de-burring tool prior to loading these cases,because I havent been able to get one yet}

<stans>
posted
Perhaps it is a build up of carbon?

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
How many firings on those cases?
I always figured it was only natural for some of the brass to burn or be blasted away at the flash hole after repeated firings. Primers are hot, and they shoot hot particles through that hole too.
I've never seen anything in print either.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<BC hunter>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Y Cannuck:
[QB]How many firings on those cases?

I have used them for 3 times. It may well be normal, as to whether it will make for inconsistant groupings, as I suspect it may, maybe I should just chuck them. I dont recall seeing any statements about that particular problem being related to high pressure, so I was hoping maybe someone would have an answer. Thanks for your response.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
You could run a flash hole de-burring tool through them,They punch those holes in the factory and allmost always leave a burr on the powder side of the case.Mine is made by lyman and does a good job.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I'd be more concerned about pressure, if the case head was expanded, you can see a bright ring on the case, the old primers are flattened right out square, or the primers were loose when you seat the next batch. I don't believe any of those indicators as an absolute. But when any one of them shows up, I back off until I figure out why.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BS, I'm not sure I have a good image of what you are describing when you say "ragged." Are you talking about SMOKE leaking out around the primers when you fire them or what?

How do you normally load? Do you load everything MAX plus a dab or do you load conservatively.

Unless you are trying to push the pressures up into the twilight zone, 3 loadings should not have trashed your cases. 30/06 brass is some of the toughest out there IMHO. I've loaded /06 brass more times than I have fingers and toes to count and generally just cull it because I'm sick of looking at it.

I'll certainly second what Johnny C. said about the flat squared off primers. In fact, I'll go one further and say I've never seen this type of pressure indication wrong. It won't tell you what your pressures are, but it sure the little primer trying to tell you to back off!

Use some caution till you sort this out. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BC hunter>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pecos45:
[QB]BS, I'm not sure I have a good image of what you are describing when you say "ragged." Are you talking about SMOKE leaking out around the primers when you fire them or what?

Hi Pecos.
What I mean is the flash hole, when viewed from the base of the case, after the primer has been removed, appears to have enlarged slightly, and be a little ragged looking, not a nice neat round hole like on new unfired brass. I know that it is not uncommon for the inside { in the case} of the flash-hole, to have slight burrs, from when they were punched out, this is normal, thus someone invented a flash-hole deburrer, to clean that problem up.
I have no other pressure signs, the case looks good, no shiny expansion ring, no flattened primers, no smoked primers, no sticky bolt, no higher than expected velocitys. I have not tried to reprime the cases yet, so I cant say if the primer pocket is enlarged. Just the flash hole looks enlarged ever so slightly, and appears rough around the edges. I have never read anything on this factor, and was just questioning the reason, and if there should be a worry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BC - Thanks for the update. I understand your question now. (I think I was ate up with the dumbass last night. [Smile] )

I have never seen or heard of the phenomenon you are describing. What make of case are they?

If we are talking VERY slight differences, I think I wouldn't worry about it. I recall that I read somewhere years ago that the flash hole should NOT be drilled out but I know that is not what you are doing.

You've got a real puzzler here.

Hey, BC, I just had a thought! [Big Grin] Maybe we are thinking about this problem from the wrong end.
We are only thinking in terms of "What's the primer doing?" But in reality maybe the culprit is what are your sizing dies doing? The erosion of this hole may be coming from THAT direction.

Possibly your depriming pin is a little off center? Perhaps the rod is a bit out of alignment? Perhaps the deprimer and neck expanding rod need to be adjusted UP? Perhaps you have this rod so far down that the expander ball is bumping the bottom of the case...and maybe breaking off little bits of the metal around the flash hole??

I'm grasping at straws here, but I think the above ARE possible.

I await your thoughts. P45

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I have seen this only once, with Norma PPC case (OUCH!). In that case, the decapping pin was not centered in the die (I am really starting to dislike Redding dies), and the pin would hit the side of the hole, damage it, and then slide through and punch the primer out. The flash holes would be slightly oblong.

The damaged cases DID suck in the accuracy department.....

From your description, your situation is slightly different, but perhaps it is worth checking out, anyway. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Standard flash hole dimensions are .078" minimum to .082" maximum. Discard if over .086". Some cases like the Winclean have oversize holes (how big?) and some PPC cases have .062" holes IIRC. Neither apply to the .30-06.
http://beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.htm/62

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
<BC hunter>
posted
A very good point was raised, and after further inspection it appears my decapping pin may be slightly off centre. This is probably the cause of the problem. I couldnt say I felt any obvious difference when decapping, but then again the RCBS Rockchucker has a lot of leverage. I had some spare pins, and put one in. Now I just have to load up a few, and inspect them, the next time I decap.
Thanks for the idea, and to all who responded!
I checked out that archive page at Beartooth, Jack, and will be picking up a couple of drill bits this weekend!!