Find
Notify
Tools

Who needs a Bersin tool.........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Longshots59 and I were loading some 300WMs and 300SAUMs a few weeks back and we stumbled on a pretty nifty trick I figured some of you fellas may get some good from.

I've been using my rounds that had more than .002-.003 of run-out for foulers while doing load development well, the other night I was telling Longshots59 about the Bersin tool and how they are alittle pricey and there seems to be mixed reviews on their usefulness. Then, we got an idea of straightening some of the crooked rounds ourselves so I grabbed a few once fired cases off the bench and slid on over the bullet in a crooked 300WM load. Then, put it on the case master and marked the high point w/ a magic marker, took the once fired case, slid it over the bullet, held the load firmly in one hand, and put alittle pressure in the opposite direction w/ the empty case and there it was, a round w/ .001 of run-out.

Simple cheap fix.

I will caution you that if you go to far and or back and forth, you will loose alittle neck tension but, once you get the hang of it and go in small increments the neck will move w/ the bullet and neck tension will remain. It will not take you too long to get the hang of it.

I've straightened over 200 rounds in the last couple of weeks using this method. So far I've only straightened 300 Win Mag, 300 SAUM and 22-250 Rem (That's the only ones I've been tinkering w/ the last few weeks). The results have been pleasant.

Some of you probably already do this, just thought I'd let the others in on a little trick.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I am trying to picture this. Not too sure I understand completely but I am going to print this and go step by step with some old brass and see if I get good results

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader: My only question is where do you mount the dial indicator? On your hand or the empty case? Really this sounds like a good idea.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Barsness told me that he accomplished about the same thing as a Bersin tool using various size holes drilled into his workbench. Me, I'm glad I bought my Bersin tool..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, do you see a difference 'on the paper' when using rounds tweaked with your Bersin vs not. In other words if runout was say .005 and you tweak with your Bersin to say .002? does that make a differenc on the target, or what difference does?

Thanks--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Muck,

The dial indicator is only on the case master (RCBS), it doesn'y matter which concentricity gauge you use as long as you mark the high spot w/ a sharpie or the like and put pressure in the opposite direction.

Like I said, be careful how far you go because if you go too far you loose neck tension. Once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake.

dj, The hole in the bench would probably work well too. I just like to have things in my hands so I get a good feel of things. The old brass doesn't last long maybe enough to straighten 20 or so. It would probably be very handy If I had some steel tubes w/the diameters of diff. bullet or maybe make a small block for each cal.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote