New
Find
Notify
Tools

which budget chronograph???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would like to have the oehler....but I'm looking for something more affordable....which of the "budget" chronographs are the best???

[ 09-18-2002, 01:45: Message edited by: GonHuntin ]

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Gon - Someone did a post in here a few months back about all the chrono's being more or less the same in terms of the actual circuitry used to measure velocity. The Oehler does have a built in proof channel, which may make it worth what it costs. I don't know.

I use a Shooting Chrony, 2 of them actually, set up back to back, one as a check on the other. If they're off, they're both off by the same amount, because the velocity readings are always within a few FPS of each other. Interestingly, the second one is not always a lower reading than the first one [Confused]

The Chrony's are available from a bunch of places, usually for under $100.00. Be sure to get the "Master" version - it has a remote readout that you can set on the bench with you; otherwise you have to squint, or walk back and forth, a lot to get a reading. Get a VCR tripod from Wal-Mart for $40.00, stick it on there, and you're ready to go.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Factory re-furb shooting chrony. I've had mine for 4 years, $50 + $5 shipping, and it has worked fine. The chronies are sensitive to light conditions, but asside from that, I've certainly got my monies worth out of it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I really like the ProChrono, about $90 from Midway. Best I've used but I've never had an Oehler either.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best thing about the inexpensive chronographs is you can sell them easily when you decide to move up to an Oehler and...remember....there are two kind of shooters...those who have shot their chronograph by mistake and those who will [Wink]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill: You forgot the third kind -- those who have shot their chronographs intentionally out of frustration, usually with uncooperative light conditions. Actually, I haven't had much problem except when the sun is very low, which is exactly when it gets cool enough to enjoy shooting, the miriage goes away, and the wind quits blowing.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a standard Shooting Chrony for years with satisfaction. The numbers are large and easy to read from 15' or so.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both Oehler 35 and Chrony.

As Paul said, Chrony can be light sensitive. High readings are not uncommon with them. But they are easy to setup at the range and I usually use the Chrony if I am shooting at the range and checking some reduced loads.

Oehler is easier (at least for me on a public range) to set up so as the chronograph and group at the same time.

For some reason, when a Chrony is reading too high, it still seems OK with rimfire ammo, which maybe to do with the color and size/shape of the 22 rimfire bullet.

I suppose I look on a Chrony like a powder measure and the Oehler like weiging scales.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just bought the Chrony F1 from Midway = $74. Also bought the remote for $10. The remote enables you to get hi, lo ,av, std deviation, etc from the unit - I did not expect this I just thought it would reset the unit. All you need is a 9 volt battery and a camera tripod - the unit is tapped for the tripod camera mounting bolt. Easy set-up - could easily shoot between the screens at two targets placed side by side at 100 yds. The results were outstanding. Fired a 22 lr to check if it was working - it was and then proceeded to fire 270 and 338 loads - it was a hot sunny hazy day in Alabama and the unit worked perfect. For $84 and shipping its a true bargain.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Oehlers ARE worth the money, but any of the Shooting Chronys are more practical if you are not testing a lot of ammo, often. I have one of each, and use the Chrony most of the time, since it is much easier and faster to set up. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just looked - Chrony F1 on sale for $62 at Midway Shooting Supplies - that is a bargain

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
As far as my lighting comment. The Chronies work great with bright overhead sun. It is when the sun is low on the horizon that you get problems. Since I'm at a Northern latitude, in the winter time even at mid day I sometimes don't get readings. The other thing is, on overcast days, don't use the difusers.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 2 Chrony Master Beta's the same way R-W does and they work great. Sometimes(depending on the rifle)I'll set one up right in front of the 100 and 200 yd targets to record down range velocity to compare it to my ballistics program.
No matter which chrono you get,,, "read",,, the instructions manual several times. This will help eliminate some of the human error when setting it up and will help you get the most out of it.
PS: Don't get to dissapointed when your loads don't show you the velocities that the reloading manuals show.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the ProChrono . I have found mine to be much less light sensitive than the Chronys and I think the operating menu is easier to use ..... they are priced just a little higher than the Chronys .......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made the decision to go with the Oehler and couldn't be happier. It is accurate and has a lot of area to shoot between the skyscreens. I didn't get the printer which brings the cost down about $135. As far as setting it up, it takes me about 5-10 minutes. I set it up behind the firing line and then carry it out and adjust it during a cease fire. Given that it typically takes me a couple of hours to test loads, the setup time of 5-10 minutes is no big deal. Althought he Oehler doesn't really fall into the cheap category it is worth the extra money in my opinion. [Smile]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Shark - Sure, make us Chrony owners feel like cheapskates [Frown] [Frown]

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Desert Rat>
posted
Once you have a chronograph, you will never be satisfied when you don't have one.

My Chrony started going bad (consistant high readings) so I decided to try a ProChrono. I have only used it once so far, but it seems to be less light sensative than the Chrony, and I really love the round counting feature, so that you know the round measured is not just the same reading as the last round, without having to reset the chrony each time.

I have picked up nice camera tripods at garage sales or thrift shops for $5-$10.

one of us
posted Hide Post
R-West,

So how many firearms do you own? [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by R-WEST:
Shark - Sure, make us Chrony owners feel like cheapskates [Frown] [Frown]

R-WEST

[ 09-18-2002, 08:37: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
If you really want to know the difference between Oehler and all the rest just send any one of them back for diagnostic services. I've owned a 35P for 8 years and just sent it back because I was starting to get suspect readings every now and then. They diagnosed the problem, corrected it and shipped it back to me inside of a week FREE of charge. Now thats service. There are some good machines out there and I would be hard pressed to tell you which is best but I'll damn sure tell you who stands squarely behind their product and won't give you no song and dance when it comes time for warranty work. I'll never own anything but Oehler.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
Since I have shot and distroyed three Chrony's,I think I'm an authority,because I haven't shot my fourth one.Actuall,I got rid of the rifle that was implementing the distruction of these Chrony's.
I solved the light sensitive problem.I use the cover of a plastic shirt/sweater box.It fits nicely on the rods.I place a small weight on it,so the wind doesn't blow it away.Pretty consistant now.I won't disclose what caliber rifle,disposed of my other Chronies.Don't want to hurt anyones feelings,
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Roll Eyes]

<Guy>
posted
I have a ProChrono and it has always performed excellent, it's never been fussy over lighting, always reads all bullets and arrows and I've never shot it - yet [Razz] . A friend of mine has an Oehler 35. We have set up both chronographs side by side many times and we found that my ProChrono gives the same consistant readings as his Oelher. I think the ProChrono is the best of the lower priced chronographs.